Tally Marks (Sheriff Thompson X Insane! Reader)

(Gender neutral. I've been wanting to write another 'Sheriff Thompson X Reader', so here you go!)

(Y/N)'s POV

  The walls are closing in...

  Where is my mom...?

  Why am I alone...!?

  The halls outside the iron bars echoed with the sharp clicks of boots. I couldn't help but start whining. I couldn't remember anything. I woke up here, in this cell, after a tragedy...

Thompson's POV

  I was patroling the halls, the spurs on my boots ticking on the wood like hands on a clock. It sent a chill down my spine, thinking that the near silence was threatening to drive me insane, like the new cellmate; (Y/N). Poor soul was alone with their mother at home when a robber broke in. The robber demanded all their money, but when (Y/N)'s mother refused, she was killed. It was bad enough that she died in (Y/N)'s arms, but they caught the robber... only to reveal that is was (Y/N)'s uncle. This drove (Y/N) insane within minutes, and (Y/N) was caught this morning after the unconscious murder of their brutal, thieving, murderous uncle.

  I shook my head, trying to shake away the horrible sights. The blood, the broken glass and splintering wood, and worst of all, (Y/N) crying in the corner. They were trying to convince themselves that they didn't kill anyone. It was plain as day that they did, since their uncle's blood stained their handkerchief, jacket, shirt, and jeans. Even their boots were drenched. At that moment, I heard whimpering. I looked over at (Y/N)'s cell, and saw them. They were rocking back and forth on the dusty floor. Their once-bright (e/c) eyes were clouded and their hands gripped their skull urgently.

  "When do I get out...?" they muttered. I carefully wandered over and slumped to their height, smiling gently.

  "In 1825 days, or 60 months, or 5 years. Normally, you'd be in here for life, but it was both an accident and out of consciousness," I tried to explain, but (Y/N) only hyperventilated and rocked back and forth faster. They started to tally the ground with their finger nails.

  "Where is my mother....!?" they cried. I blinked back tears as my smile faded.

  "She died... remember...?" I asked in a hushed manner. They stopped rocking, and their breath regulated. I feared for the worst, until they giggled.

  "Dead... No, my uncle is dead... not my mother...." (Y/N) panted. Cold sweat dripped down my forehead. I slipped my hand through the bars and caressed their cheek. They leaned against my colder hand.

  "They are both dead..." I tried to reason to them. Maybe there was some sanity deep in them. But no, it proved impossible.

  "No! Mother is not dead! No... no....," they pleaded helplessly. A tear streaked down my cheek. I didn't respond as I got up and quickly hurried to my desk. I didn't want them to spiral down any farther. I looked up at (Y/N)'s cell, to see them still in the same position as previous. They leaned against the memory of my palm - not exactly the same as the real thing. I sighed and continued my paper work.

(Time skip to 5 years later)

(Y/N)'s POV

  The cold walls held me for 5 years made me shiver. I know this not because sanity lingered on time, but because insanity drove me to tally marks. I tally the days and count them every week. I covered a whole wall in tally marks up to this day. I affectionately called it 'Tally Hall'. Sheriff Thompson would say that with all this counting, my mind was electric. Electric, he said, was something being discovered to this day.

  My mind was discovering new things every day, so he nicknamed me 'Mind Electric'. The citizens would say 'The Mind Electric has said something crazy today', or 'The Mind Electric did this'. It nerved Sheriff Thompson for unknown reasons. Rumors buzzed that the sheriff grew to enjoy my company. But, I ignored everything except for my tally marks. Which - as they claim, - today is my day out. I was finally free!