Doggone (Dog! Tom X Dog! Reader)

(Requested by cutekawiavivy. Gender neutral.)

(D/b) = Dog breed

Tom's POV

  The cold night air whistled through the trees outside. The world was a widely unexplored place for me. Yet, I was fine with that. Life as a pug-border collie mix was hard, at least, for me. My black and white coat was less groomed than the other dogs. Tord was a well groomed German Shepard, Matt was an extremely well groomed poodle pure breed, and Edd was a sort-of-well groomed St. Bernard. As you can tell, I'm also the shortest of the group.

 As you can tell, I'm also the shortest of the group

  That's when I hear Edd barking. He sounded excited, while I heard Tord growling. I look up to hear more barking. It was different. Not from one of us. It was coming from outside.

  Edd opened the door with his front paws. At the door was a sodding wet (h/c) (d/b). They were whining and barking. Immediately, our human, Ringo walks up. Her gray hoodie covered her torso, yet nothing could cover her surprise.

  "Poor puppy! Come here, sweetie," she cooed. She knelt down as the (d/b) came running. She pet the dog's (h/l) coat. The dog grins as their tail wags. Ringo pets them and sighs.

  "Wherever you came from, no one bothered to get you fixed. You'll stay here for now," Ringo chirps as they pet the (d/b). Edd and Matt were quick to greet the dog with licks and playing. Tord growls and hides under the couch. I just lap at my spiked water. That's when the dog decided to play with me.

  "I don't want to play," I whine. They whimper and sit beside me. When I look up, their tail wags. Playful, aren't they? I decide to finally play with them. For about half an hour, we were actually having fun. I haven't felt this happy in years.

  It was the first time since I was a puppy last time my tail wagged. That's why Tord growls even more and nips at my tail. I yelp and hide from my attacker. The new dog growls back at Tord, unhappy by his interference. Eventually, Ringo ponders a name for the (d/b). That's when she chirps excitedly.

  "(Y/N)! That's what I can name you!" she beams. Edd barks as his tail wags. Ringo turned her attention to her beloved dog. That left (Y/N) and Tord in a miniature fight.

  "Why did you nip him!?" (Y/N) snarls.

  "He doesn't deserve happiness! He's a ungrateful, growling brat," Tord hisses. This makes (Y/N) snap at Tord's muzzle. This makes him yelp and whine. (Y/N) turns back to me and starts licking my nose. Their tail wags like nothing just happened.

  I blush and lean into their soft fur. I hear Tord growling some more. Yet, a quick glare from (Y/N) made him change his mind. I hear Matt yapping excitedly about 'how cute our puppies would be'. I roll my black eyes and stare at the wonderful dog that was (Y/N).

  Maybe puppies wouldn't be so bad.

(Y/N)'s POV

(Time Skip)

  The world has seemed so much brighter and warmer with Tom in it. That's why after I got fixed, Ringo saw a box on the street. The box held border collie-(d/b) mix puppies. One of them was (h/c) and white and sick. Me and Tom were happy to nurse it back to healthy while we raised it as our own. We named her Miracle, to represent everything; me meeting Tom and her being rescued.

  Of course, she couldn't leave the other two behind. An all white puppy was adopted between Matt and Edd. They named him Angel, and he truly acted like one. He always played with Miracle kindly. Their wayward brother was never as easy. Tord raised the last pup, a (h/c) pup named King. He raised him to be aggressive and dominant, ruling over his siblings like a king.

  Ever since the day me and Tom meet, I have never felt more doggone happy.