[Chapter 44]: Froze

"A HERO THANK GOODNESS!" One of the men ran over to you, tears cascading down his cheeks. He desperately clutched onto you, his fingernails bleeding, nearly ripped to shreds from clawing at the concrete. "PLEASE, THE DEBRIS HAS BLOCKED OFF THE STAIRS! WE HAVE NO WAY OUT!" 

This is the reality. It's not like the movies. This is what people are like when they think they're gonna die.

Calm down, calm down (y/n). Think!

"Don't worry sir! You're gonna be just fine." You grabbed his quivering shoulders and spoke gently, before looking up at the rest of the terrified civilians. "EVERYONE, GATHER AROUND ME QUICKLY." They complied and ran over to you, their eyes pleading and breathing strained. You could hear concrete crumbling, people screaming, Thirteens quirk activating over and over again. Your eyes darted around the room.

The stairs aren't an option, lava has probably already pooled on the bottom floor. The roof has been weakened too much to stand on for a prolonged period of time. And I can't risk bringing them out by Thirteen with Molten still out ther-

"MISS PLEASE, HURRY!" One of the women called out to you as she clutched something against her chest. Your eyes widened. 

A baby.

It's now or never.

You ran over to the outside wall and pressed your hands against it, breaking down the concrete as fast as possible, paying close attention to the edge of the affected area as it expanded outward. Light began to stream in from the created hole. You pulled away, making sure to stop your quirk before it reached the buildings supportive pillars. The sight of sunlight was reassuring, but you knew you had to make haste before the building fell.

"I will carry each of you to the neighboring rooftop one at a time! Please stay close to this wall." You quickly knelt in front of the mother who was holding the baby. As she was about to climb on, she was shoved away by an older man.

"NUH UH, I'M GOING FIRST!"

That infuriated you. You stood and turned, sending the man to the ground instantly.

Don't freak out, he's just panicking.

"Calm down, you'll get your turn but the baby comes first. If it inhales too much smoke it will die." The man shook angrily but stayed on the ground. You quickly helped the women stand and lifted her onto your back. "Hold on tightly ma'am!"

-Tokyo: Near Genius Office-

"There appears to be activity on the side of the building. We're getting a visual..." The news anchor said. The camera panned to the hole in the wall, zooming slightly to get a clearer picture. Katsuki's eyes widened in anticipation. "We have a visual! The unknown hero seems to be carrying civilians to the neighboring rooftop. She appears to have some kind of energy quirk? An official report will be released later."

"Hmm, I don't recognize her costume. She also looks rather young..." Best Jeanist rested his hand on his chin.

"She's a student from my class interning under Thirteen." Katsuki responded.

"Really? She doesn't have the jurisdiction to act then, but I guess with this situation it can't be helped." Best Jeanist glanced over at Katsuki, noticing the worry in his eyes. "So, do you know her well?" Katsuki smirked slightly.

"You could say that."

-Hosu Shopping District-

You landed on the opposing rooftop and placed the sixth man down. 

Just one more

You panted heavily, muscles aching, and heart racing. After jumping from building to building, you couldn't help but notice the absolute mayhem that was ensuing below.

Thirteens sidekicks had gathered, escorting people off the street and attempting to blockade the lava. Pro heroes Backdraft and Kamui Wood had also made it to the scene. But while Backdraft could solidify Molten's lava with his water, Kamui Wood was rendered nearly useless due to his wood burning up in the heat. Not only that but Molten's henchman had come to his aid, fighting off the sidekicks and keeping Thirteen more than busy just holding their ground. It was hell.

You brought yourself to the edge of the roof once more, peering at the last person in need of your help. She was an older woman who offered to be the last one carried across. Bending down, you prepared yourself to jump.

Before you had the chance, the building began to collapse.

Your heart seemed to stop as the women cried out, clutching the pillar with a terrified expression. Her hand splayed out to you, pleading for help. As you locked eyes with her, your body seemed to move on its own.

"JUMP!" You called out as you lept from the rooftop towards her. Through the explosions and mayhem, you weren't sure if she could hear you. But as her gaze met yours, she could read your face and immediately knew what you wanted.

She leaped forward as the last support beam snapped and the building crumbled under its own weight. You pulled a pellet from your pocket and broke it down, using the energy generated to propel yourself down faster. Wrapping your body around the woman's, you pulled her face into your chest and plummeted into the sweltering debris below.

"(Y/N)!" Thirteen desperately shouted.

As the dust began to settle there was no movement from beneath the rubble. The people you had rescued peered off the edge of the building, eyes searching for signs of life.

"MISS?! PLEASE ANSWER US! ARE YOU ALRIGHT?!"

Nothing.

All viewing the spectacle froze. Katsuki basically felt his heart stop.