[Chapter 45]: A long night

Am I... Going to die here?

It was dark; Silent besides the sound of your own heart beat slowing. You could feel blood seething from your side. The air was dusty, causing your struggled breaths to only be more painful. Your head and body throbbed as you felt yourself being crushed under the rubble.

Ah fuck... I really am going to die. Katsuki's gonna kill me.

You choked out a bit of laughter.

Even down here, that damn hedgehog makes me smile.

Tears began to cascade down your cheeks as you squeezed your eyes shut.

"Dammit... I don't wanna die here..." You shakily whispered to yourself. The taste of iron filled your mouth and ran down your chin.

"M-Miss..." Your eyes shot open upon hearing the weak mumbles. And then you remembered. You remembered why you were here, trapped under all the smoldering rubble. "Miss are you alright?"

It was the old women. The old women who trusted you enough to leap from the building. Your arms were wrapped around her in a protective cage and her face was pressed against your chest. 

She's asking if I'm alright... I need to reassure her.

"Yeah... I'm fine. Don't worry, everythin-" You were cut off by your own hicks and sobbing.

I'm scared. Damn, some hero I am.

"It's alright miss, it's okay to be scared... I'm scared too."

"I'm so sorry... I'm suppose to be a hero but I-... I'm so pathetic..." You sniffled and struggled to control the strain in your voice.

"Nonsense. You're only a child, and yet you lept through the burning rubble to save me." She clutched onto your costume. "It was the most courageous thing I've ever seen." Her words emitted a certain warmth you couldn't explain. But it made the cold stillness of the air much more bearable.

You could still hear it faintly; explosions, screaming, the crumbling of rock. But it didn't ring in your ear anymore. You were focused on the tender nature of the woman's voice.

"What's your name hero?"

"(Y/n)... What about you?" You managed to make out the words between ragged breaths. She smiled.

"I'm Kanna, Kanna Watanabe. But please just use my first name. My surname is too much of a mouthful." She responded. "I own a flower shop here in Hosu. I just wanted to deposit a damn check at the bank today. Then that villain Molten had to show up and mess everything up. What a jackass." She scoffed, causing you to chuckled weakly."You seem a bit young to be a pro. Do you go to school anywhere dear?"

"Ah... I'm a first year at UA..."

"UA huh? That's pretty amazing (y/n)." She could tell from your slowed breathing and the blood she felt pooling under her that the life was fleeting from your body. "Do you like it there?" Her question elicited a weak smile from you.

"I love it... I love everything about it. The school... The teachers... My friends..." You could feel your eyelids falling shut. "I... I want to see them again. Especially that damn hedgehog..."

"Hedgehog? You have a pet hedgehog." Kanna jokingly questioned. Weak laughter escaped you.

"You could say he's kinda like a pet... Damn, I want to see him again so bad..." There was a brief pause as your eyes began to water again. "I didn't... I didn't even get to tell him I loved him..." Kanna shakily reached her arms around the back of your head and gently ran her fingers through your hair.

"Tell him the next time you see him, okay?" It was harder and harder to hear anything.

"You're r-right, I will... Thank you Kanna..." You weakly clutched the old women against you and forced yourself to keep breathing.

Minutes that felt like hours began passing. There was a rumbling that gradually made it's way towards you

"THERE THEY ARE!" You could hear faint yelling as light began to stream through the cracks. Kanna gripped your sides and shook you.

"(Y/n)... (Y/N)! Stay with us dear!" She desperately called out. You wanted to respond, but your lips only managed to tremble as you attempted to make out words. You felt hands take hold of you and begin to pull you from the rubble. 

I want to live...

  Their screams faded to ringing as you felt your consciousness slip away.  

-Hosu General Hospital-

"LET ME GO YOU BASTARDS!"

"Sir please calm down! She's in surgery, you can't disturb them!" The nurses held Katsuki back as he attempted to force his way through the hospital ward.

"I JUST NEED TO SEE HER DAMMIT, I AIN'T GONNA STOP TH-"

"Bakugou, stop." Katsuki halted and turned back, eyes meeting Aizawa's. Recovery girl was also with him. "I understand that you and (y/n) are close, but causing such a ruckus won't help her. You should go back to Tokyo. You're disrespecting Best Jeanist by leaving your internship and coming here." Katsuki gritted his teeth together and looked down. 

He knew he was right.

"I know... I'll go back tomorrow morning I promise, so please just let me just stay here for the night..." He pleaded. Aizawa watched the boy before exchanging looks with Recovery Girl. He sighed.

"Alright. Make sure you give Best Jeanist a proper apology when you return."

They all waited in the hallway for a bit until the doctor opened the door of the surgery ward. Katsuki felt his heart rate quicken as he pulled away from the wall.

"Recovery Girl, please head inside and do what you can." The doctor asked. She nodded and quickly paced through the door.

"What's her condition doc?" Aizawa looked up and questioned. There was a brief silence.

"A concussion, a broken femur, second-degree burns, a metal girder impaled through her abdomen, severe internal bleeding, spinal damage... The only reason she didn't die was thanks to her suit." Katsuki and Aizawa were both quiet. "She should pull through with Recovery Girl's treatment, but even with that you should expect her to be extremely weak for a while."

He began to walk away down the hallway. But he paused for a moment and peered back at Aizawa and spoke once more.

"You should be proud Eraserhead... I heard from the civilians she saved how well she handled herself. Not only that, but the old women who was with her suffered no major injuries. She'll be an amazing hero one day." He left after that, leaving Aizawa and Katsuki in the hallway. Another silence.

"Aizawa..." Katsuki mumbled. Aizawa looked over at the boy. "You know about it right? The microchip?" His eyes widened at his words before calmly responding.

"Takashi must have told you huh?" Katsuki didn't respond, his brow only sorrowfully furrowed. Aizawa noticed this and approached the boy, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I accepted it as a formality. I can tell you with confidence that I want (y/n) to succeed as much as you do. Do you understand Bakugou?"

Katsuki nodded lightly in response. With a final pat, Aizawa headed towards the waiting room and gave the blond some space.

Katsuki pressed his back against the wall once more before sinking down onto the floor. He pulled his knees up and pressed his forehead against them. He didn't know what to do. He felt so helpless. He knew he could only sit there and hope that you would be okay. Hugging his knees against his chest, he waited.

As night descended, the nurses came by and requested that he moved to the waiting room. Although reluctant, he complied and no longer fought it. As Katsuki made his way down the hallway, the lights in the ward flickered off behind him.

It was going to be a long night.