[Assassin's Arc] Chapter 9

[Alex's POV]

After ringing twice, the sound changed. The phone went busy.

"What the heck?!" Angela exclaimed, disappointedly. "Is that Orihara Izaya referring us to a person who won't answer his phone?"

The two men she ordered to break (F/n)'s leg stood in front of the victim, hesitating. After seeing (F/n) under her current situation, her friends started to pity her.

Nevertheless, I find (F/n)'s labored breathing mesmerizing. I won't let Angela notice it because I'll just earn a heavy blow from her.

"Maybe he's busy," I replied. "Or maybe his phone is off."

She huffed. "I was planning to make him hear (F/n)'s beautiful cry over the phone when I break her leg." She pouted. "Her cry is melody to my ears."

I stiffened. Veronica is acting incredibly not herself. When I met her and when I worked with her, she is a sweet and unwavering young lady, swift in almost everything she does. Now, she seemed like a completely different person to me.

I looked back at the struggling captive. After all the extremes she's gone through this morning, she's gotten weak, frail and defenseless. And yet, her face seems so calm as if she's accustomed to all kinds of pain.

The more I look at her, the more I soften my stance towards her. Her ragged clothes, torn in many places, was shred even more with all the cuts Veron made. The color of it was dirty white with the dust and brownish red with her blood. Her clothes barely kept anything from sight now.

(F/n) is a masterpiece! She is perfect. I started seeing her differently. If there were no wounds and blood in the places where her shirt was torn, I would think she is my prey, ready to be eaten. If only she is fragile in her good condition, I won't let that chance slip away.

When I raised my head to see my girlfriend, I have noticed that her aura has changed. She looks furious at me now as she approach me, as if she would bite my head off. Eeeek! She found me out!

"W-what the? What do you want?" I asked her, looking straight into her eyes once again. I didn't step back. I mustn't fear her even if she holds a gun because I have a metal bar with splintered ends on my grasp.

Then, she made that puppy dog face. I was taken aback. No, no! Not that face! Veronica is the cutest in that face. I slumped forward.

Suddenly, her gun is right beneath my jaw. "What is this?" I inquired coldly, looking down at her face.

Her eyes glared dangerously as she spoke. "I have noticed that you've been acting differently. You refuse to hurt (F/n) even though we both wanted her gone. Now, you looked at her intently, the way you never did to me."

I get it. She's just jealous... She knew how fast a player like me would veer.

"That's because I could see that she's close to her demise," I answered her, keeping my eyes cold on her while holding her hand. Surprisingly, she let me put her hand down and take her gun, which I shoved into my pocket.

"I only wanted her gone because she's a nuisance," she reasoned as she nudged into my chest.

"Now, now." I slowly pat her head, reassuringly. "That's a good girl."

She let out a soft giggle.

-

[Shizuo's POV]

"(F/n) is in a pinch," Izaya went on. "She needs your help."

"(F/n)? Need my help?" I snickered. "Don't give me that crap!"