[Berserker's Arc] Chapter 4

[Shizuo's POV]

In that one year, a lot happened. Part of it is losing my job again after getting fired from the bar I was working in. I wouldn't blame them like I wouldn't in the past workplaces I got fired in. I got in a fight, broke a lot of properties, and frightened the customers.

I have a very short temper; I always get annoyed with my younger brother. Since I was a kid, I will always break out and fight. I get stronger every time I get fired up. I can carry heavy appliances, furnitures, and whatever I can haul. Then, my bone cracks and I get hospitalized. Every time I get hospitalized, I grow stronger to the point that my body becomes strong and durable like a monster's. I became rumored at Ikebukuro as a man no one wanted to get in a fight with.

But the same bastard I know from high school will do anything to boil my blood. He even call me "Shizu-chan" as if we're close childhood friends. I warned him before that I don't want to see him in Ikebukuro, but he never listened. He just pops up everywhere and I get on my heavy feet to chase him around, hauling everything I can grab in the way.

He even went far to attempt killing me when he hired an assassin to deal with me. That assassin is a huge pain in the butt. I can't tell what she's thinking when she suddenly assumed to be an acquaintance, a close friend, then... a girlfriend?! I would be happy if there will be someone that will mistake and fall for a monster like me. Kasuka has a girlfriend, Celty and Shinra are in love, Tom likes Varona, Mikado and Anri likes each other but they're too shy to admit it, and I am with no one. Few close friends and even my brother ask me why, but I always think that the day will come for me although I'm happy with my present life. I want a silent life; I don't want trouble. I want things to go my way, and I don't want to be someone who the people fears.

Presently, I work as Tom's body guard. When I lost my job as a bartender, I didn't know where to work anymore because I have gone through many jobs and they all fired me. The bar was the last workplace in my list. Now, working for my friend makes me like my job. Tom-san is a debt collector and it is understandable why he needs someone strong to defend him. At least, working with someone I am friends with for a long time is easier than adjusting in a workplace where I don't know what kind of people are there.

After (F/n) disappeared, the bastard shut up as well. I didn't see him in city for the entire year, much to my pleasure. Life is better without them, but it's also boring without them. Somehow, I'm yearning for something unusual and exciting to happen.

For lunch, Tom-san and I are taking a break at the same café where (F/n)'s story commenced. We're seating at exactly the same place. The entire story only happened in a few days, but (F/n) proved herself to be a huge pain in the butt. She's not completely helpless, but she's really troublesome. I told her before she left that if she does, she mustn't return so I will forget. She left me too much to forget that I get flashbacks of her even when I do not think of her. Even going to this café is nostalgic.

"Hey, Shizuo!" Tom called for my attention. "Izaya has not been around Ikebukuro for an entire year... did something happen?"

"Why would I care about that bastard?!" I retorted in my usual manner as I tapped the cigarette on the ash tray. "If he's never coming back to Ikebukuro, then that's good."

Tom chuckled awkwardly at my reaction. "Just wondering..."

"He always talk about the fun he gets in watching human emotions: whether they suffer in pain or they are depressed, whether they're happy or flustered, whatever!" I ranted for a bit. "I can't accept his reasoning and I always hate his guts."

"Mah. That's Izaya-san..." Tom pushed his glasses up. "Humans come in variety and he is just one kind of them."

"Yeah, the kind of human existing in the smallest percentage," I said dismissively.