[Berserker's Arc] Chapter 26

[Reader's POV]

Shizuo and I have arrived at the train station. There is no ambulance that can reach the village. There is no other way but to use the train. Luckily, as we got in, the train segment is in good condition.

Just a while earlier, when I regained my consciousness and I was pinning Shizuo on the ground, the people all had terrified looks at me. I didn't want it. I am the one who they respect as their hero, their Protector! What I see in their eyes is a monster as they stare at me meekly. What's wrong? I am a monster; you see! I even hurt the man I would last wanted to hurt. Never in my life.

While I was not myself, I was totally in the black. I couldn't hear nor see nor feel a single thing. I was a void. I was nothing but emptiness, not even death can compare. I was inanimate, like my self did not exist. The only think that what brought me back was Shizuo's call and his will to bring me back. Had it not been him, I'm totally done for.

I was slow in realizing it. Shizuo carved an irreplaceable place inside me... that I would willingly face dangers to protect him. Yet, that isn't what he wanted. He would gladly turn me away from the face of imminence and let its powerful claws slash his flesh. How could I not notice...?

I scurried away from him in confusion and I returned to my old thrashed house. Shizuo was behind me. I found Aaron unconscious, yet alive, unharmed by his own sister. I was relieved. The man behind me carried my frail younger brother as we left the house and my unconscious uncle who betrayed us.

Now, since then, Shizuo and I haven't spoken to each other. From a distant mirror I glanced, I can tell that he is looking at me. I occasionally drift my eyes away so he wouldn't notice. I was a mess and I didn't want him to rub it on my face and say: I told you so.

He's back to being cold towards me. He's angry at me; no doubt.

Sooner, we arrived at Ikebukuro station. Celty-san was there, waiting for us. When she saw us, she didn't waste time. She turned her bike into a van with some sort of trick to accommodate us. While we were inside, we could hear a horse's galloping.

We ended in their apartment in no time. Shizuo carried Aaron as he ran into the operating room. Dr. Shinra has prepared his tools. Lady Mirae and Malana worriedly welcomed us inside, especially the unconscious Aaron, but they were told not to enter the operating room. Thus, they waited with me in the living room while Celty-san and Shizuo-san helped Dr. Shinra.

Lady Mirae and Malana hugged me despite my appearance and condition. "Thank you for listening to us," the old lady said. Malana didn't say anything anymore. Her hugged showed me her gratefulness. She must be worried sick after she saw Aaron like that.

I also sincerely hope that Aaron will open his eyes, otherwise, Malana will be very lonely.

There are so many questions flooding in my head right now. What exactly happened back in the village? Why did Chikara-san do something like that? You are the only one that understands him, Mirae-sama. Why did you let such a thing happen? Until now, I am afraid... so afraid of things, even towards myself.

As I looked at the old lady, she refused to meet my gaze. She would always turn her head aside and hold close to Malana. I couldn't dare to approach her, not in this situation. She is definitely hiding something to me, but I cannot put that suspicion over this moment that Aaron can hardly be saved. I don't want him to suffer death.

We waited long hours this night. I took the opportunity to clean myself. We had food to eat, but our stomachs are filled with everything that happened tonight. My short time of happiness during the festival has turned to my longest hours of despair. As I sit steadily on the bench, I could feel the weight of a hundred kilos as the clock ticks in total silence.