[Berserker's Arc] Chapter 15

[Normal POV]

The next day, Chikara's family is still having a huge indoor feast. Chikara gave their neighbors food for take home meals so that they get to eat good food without joining in his family.

As Chikara is finishing his cooking and Aaron is helping him set the table, Malana came prancing, humming happily as she fetch the old lady from her knitting corner.

"Malana, you seem very happy today," Chikara-san said with a smile as he set down the lobster on the table. "Did something happen?"

She giggled and brought out the letter she got from her school. "The school invites me to join a three-day overnight camping! Hihi!"

"Eh?" Aaron pouted. "How come you only get to go to camping?"

"Oh. The class is divided into two. You're part of the second batch, it seems," Malana replied to encourage her cousin not to feel down.

Aaron looked down, then smiled back at them. "I will receive a letter like yours, too?"

"Yes, maybe a week or two after I return."

"Ehhh?! Why that long?"

"Dunno; school rules."

"Now, now, set that matters aside and eat up first," Chikara intervened as he set down the rice on the table. "Fill your empty stomachs."

"Yay!" The kids dug in soon after they prayed their thanks. "Itadakimasu!"

As Malana is happily chumming, she remembered one thing about the camping and said, "Chom un has chu cu with meh (Someone has to come with me)."

"Hey, didn't I tell you not to speak with your mouth full," Lady Mirae said, smiling at her and putting water on their glasses. She gave one to Malana so that she can properly say what she wants.

"Please! I need someone with me on the trip, or else, they won't let me," she said pleadingly. "But I want to bring a feast with me, too!"

"No can do, Malana," Chikara intervened. "Camping is all about surviving. I doubt you can bring lobster on a camp site."

"Yeah, that's right," Aaron sternly agreed. "Doing so is greedy."

Malana sighs. "Fine then, I'll go on a camping diet."

"Auntie..." Chikara said softly. "Do you mind watching over Malana during the camping?"

Old Lady Mirae thinks why Chikara is passing the duty to her. She rather wants to stay at home and do the knitting, also, this is a good opportunity for Chikara to be a good uncle and join the Malana in her school activities. "Why don't you do it?"

"Yeah, yeah!" Malana agreed cheerfully. "Uncle, you never went to our school activities!" she said, pouting at him.

"I'd love to, actually, but my basement work is on its peak," He reasoned, sounding like the basement work is more important to him than the kids, which might actually be the case. "I'm sure the looters are aware of it and might try to steal it. The old lady can't handle it and I have to complete the work to pay my colleagues."

"Don't make me sound too old for it," Mirae-sama nearly hissed as she said those words.

"I think I am quite capable," Aaron said confidently.

"Not yet as capable as your big sister," Chikara said, giving him a light pat at the head.

Malana thought about how Leena was always present in their school activities. This is the first time their school held an overnight activity and she began to imagine how it will work with her big sister. She smiles at the thought of her big sister missing at the crucial times because she is off chasing the bandits.