[Berserker's Arc] Chapter 5

[Reader's POV]

-- AFTER 2 DAYS –

Like I promised Malana and Aaron, I made the most of the two days I'm staying with them. We practically played the entire two days like no one can imagine. Chikara-san could care less, while Lady Mirae just watched us from the door of our house. I played with the kids in the mud, bathed in the river, and laid on the grass.

I made sure that they accept my departure wholeheartedly so I won't be hurt thinking that atlas, I will leave this village but my loved ones will feel lonely. The robbers stopped coming over as well and the entire place is so peaceful, so I accept that there's no more need of me. Even the kids are probably willing to let me go by now.

This early morning, I packed up my clothes, photo frames, and other necessities in the bag Lady Mirae gave me. I left the photo album for Malana and Aaron. As soon as I finished my preparing my bag, someone knocked on my door and casually entered. It is Chikara-san.

"Chikara-san, what's the matter?" I asked him as I tucked my hair behind my ear. He gave me money and medicine.

"You'll need money," he said calmly.

"Money? Where did you get these?" I asked, dumfounded. "I thought this village doesn't have money so we do barter trade."

"Oh, I did not tell you, I forgot," he said happily while rubbing the back of his head. "I earned this money from my jobs outside the village, but it is true that we don't have the standard money here."

"Jobs? I see..." I replied, looking in the money in my palms, and then the medicine bottle he gave me with it. "What is this medicine for?"

"The medicine is used for controlling the Berserker within you. We usually crush one tablet in your food every day," Chikara-san explained.

I looked more carefully into the bottle and noticed that it is only half-filled. "But what happens if I run out of tablets?" I asked worriedly.

"It means you don't need to take it anymore," he said with a bright smile.

I looked down at what he gave me and smiled. "Thank you. I'll remember."

Nodding shortly, Chikara-san left my room. Before he closed the door, he said, "Breakfast is ready. Lady Mirae prepared your favorite shrimp dumplings. Malana and Aaron are helping her."

"Really?!" I asked with glint on my eyes as I hurriedly shoved the remaining items on my bag and run outside to help.

"We're almost done here, Leena," Lady Mirae said while she is transferring the fried shrimp to the drain. "Please prepare the dishes."

"Okay," I answered happily as I helped them out. Malana and Aaron helped me set the drinks and utensils. Old lady served the main dish and rice. Chikara-san is not around again, unbelievable. Where did that man go to?

Having readied everything, we sat on our places and prepared to dig in before Lady Mirae interrupted us, "You young'guns! Don't forget to pray before you eat!"

I looked over to the two kids and they were already drooling before the food. I chuckled at the hungry duo.

"We thank you Lord for all thy gifts which we're about to receive," we recited in perfect sync at the same time when Chikara-san appeared and sat with us, finishing the prayer.

"I'm digging in!" He exclaimed first as he grabbed his chopsticks and started munching. The rest of us are staring at him with tired eyes.

Lady Mirae sighed. "You only come up when it's time to eat. Aren't you getting tired of your lab, yet?"