[Claudia's Arc] Chapter 10

[Normal POV]

It was around 10:30 in the evening when Celty, Shinra, and the old lady reached the downhill apartment the information broker told them to check. It looks really old and empty, and the structures aren't strong. The roofs are rusted and in general description, the place is an empty dump site.

"Young man, is this really the place?" the old lady asked Shinra as she looked around the place in confusion. "Can anyone dare to live in this place or even make it a hideout? There are plenty of old warehouses in the city."

"You're right. I hope this is not one of Izaya's old nasty tricks again," Celty affirmed. They have been walking for a while now. Although Shooter managed to cross distances over the roofs in decent speed, the place is far too impossible to trek on a four-wheel vehicle or even a horse and a carriage. It is very difficult compared to the roofs and building tops in Ikebukuro. That is why the three had no other choice than to walk by foot.

"We don't have a choice but to check," Shinra replied seriously. It is very rare for him to act seriously. Perhaps, the pressure is weighing down on his shoulders because the information broker chose to message him while his phone was soaked.

When they finally reached the main door to Claudia's hideout, they all stopped. They tried to look around, to listen, and to observe so that they won't screw up with the reinforcements. However, they noticed that the basement is empty. No one is speaking, muttering, walking, fixing equiptments or anything. There's just none.

The windows are closed and they didn't notice the weapon Claudia threw out. There is no other entrance than the main door.

For sure, the lights are open. The light snuck through a tiny hole that only Celty noticed. So, she bent down to look through the hole. When she peeked in it, she was surprised with what she saw that she stumbled back.

"Ahg! Celty-chan!" Shinra rushed to catch her as soon as he heard the grass sounds and he made it on time.

Out of curiousity, the old lady peeked on the same hole. She stiffened. "You won't believe this," she said with her shaky voice. "The information broker said it right... but we are late."

Shinra gasped. "What do you mean?"

Celty typed her reply and showed it to Shinra. "It's Shizuo; I'm sure of it."

The man sighed in relief. "Thank God Izaya-kun didn't prank us." He paused when he noticed that something is not right. "But what is wrong?"

"He's not moving," said the old lady with a serious tone. "He's unconscious."

"What?" Shinra covered his mouth, afraid that he said it loudly. "Are there other strange things happening inside?"

The old lady looked into the hole again before she replied. "I can't see anything else suspicious."

Shinra helped Celty get up before he went to the door and turned the knob, however, the knob is too difficult to turn. It definitely wasn't locked with a pad lock, but the hinges on the walls are loose, making the door even more difficult to open. There is even a huge shoe mark, which is most likely (F/n)'s.

"Dammit!" Pissed, Shinra kicked the door. At first, it backfired on him and he was embarrassed, but the second kick made the door and its frame in the wall totally give in.

If someone probably wanted to laugh or clap, they resisted the urge to do anything unnecessary that would hinder them from uncovering the truth faster.

"You two get inside," the old lady told Shinra and Celty as she holds onto Shooter, walking towards the side of the main door. "Shooter and I will watch in the outside."