[Berserker's Arc] Chapter 14

[Shinra's POV]

(F/n) is carrying an unknown type of Extirpate. Our lab tools react badly to it. It is clearly lethal, but why is (F/n) drinking it? It's like a suicide. But that Chikara-san she mentioned might actually want her to die without his hands getting dirty in the case. Overdosing the medicine can be the own consumer's fault.

I looked into the microscope and observed the blood react to the medicine. The more I put the powder, the reaction becomes more dangerous.

(F/n) said she's taking the medicine for a year now, but a normal person that takes the same medicine continuously won't last even a year. The big question is: How long is (F/n) really taking that medicine? And how much time has she left?

Namie-san took a good look from the microscope and went to the medicine stand. I didn't follow her to make sure I don't get in the way. I asked her, "Do you have something you can give her so that we can neutralize or maybe slow down the effect of the Extirpate?"

"I don't know," she said as she grabbed a tray and placed carefully the vials she picked from the stand. "I'd like to see how my medicines work with her blood so let's experiment a bit."

"Okay," I replied with determination while thinking that I should have gotten more blood from (F/n) before we parted but taking more can be risky because (F/n) just lost blood from her fight.

I helped her set the microscopes, set droplets of blood in each glass, sprinkled (F/n)'s crushed medicine, put different neutralizers each, and set them for observation. I watch Namie-san record her findings. We started at 10 am in the morning and ended at 4 in the afternoon. I couldn't get tired with something like this because as (F/n)'s friend, although she doesn't remember me. I don't want to put her life in danger again. Namie-san is heartily cooperating because this is new knowledge to the Yagiri Pharmaceuticals and the findings can also be beneficial to Orihara-kun in a way.

At last, Namie-san carefully handed to me a sterilized bottle half filled with 500mg neutralizer tablets. "These are the medicines that react most favorably to the Extirpate and her blood. I have no leads to the right medicine and this is the best I have."

"This will do great! Thank you, Yagiri-san," I said smiling at her with closed eyes and preparing to leave. As I head to the exit, I stole a glance at her and notice her still standing and waiting for me as if there is something she wasn't able to tell me. "What's the matter?" I asked, stopping on my track and turning around.

"About my debt, is this enough as payment?" she asked kindly and seriously.

I scratch the back of my head. This is what she's after? "How about this..." I offered to her, "If (F/n) recovered, then your debt is paid."

She gasped. (F/n)'s recovery is uncertain. I observed her when she worked, and to the best of my knowledge, she didn't give me a medicine that will amplify the Extirpate.

"Well, this is your best medicine, isn't it? Don't look afraid that it won't work."

The stunned look on her face changed into a confident smile. "Of course it will work. For what reason should I dirty the name of my family's laboratory, anyway?"

"I thought so. Thank you for your hard work," I told her as I waved my way out.

Just as I exited, I found my fiancé sitting on a long bench outside by the waiting shed, holding firmly on her motor, dozing off. Poor Celty. Did you fall asleep while waiting for me?

-

[Celty's POV]

"Celty!" I heard a familiar voice happily called me out and I realized I was sleeping. I sat straight and just as I was about to respond to the caller, I suddenly felt something heavy crash on my body. It hugged me tightly, squeezing my front so I freaked out and pushed it away from my body, only to see my fiancé sitting on the floor.