[Berserker's Arc] Chapter 11

[Reader's POV]

"...What?" What is this? A trap? Varona set me up so she could fight me? She was in the wrong and I was a complete idiot to think that she is a good person in a pinch who needs my help. I look at her in the eye, but I didn't see any menacing intent. Actually, her face was serious and composed. It was not a face that a liar can pull off. I backed away a little, adjusting from the shock, and stuttered, "N-no, I can't fight you, Varona-san."

I put my hands in front to push her away just in case or protect myself.

"Why do you look so nervous?" she asked, still with the same expression. "Do you want to say that you're just going to accept defeat and not face me?"

I hate accepting defeat. It is something that never existed in my dictionary for the past year or probably from the past where I forgot my memory, or even in my past and future lives. Without trying to fight, my soul does not accept defeat, ever!

I gritted my teeth at her statement. "No, that isn't what I meant..." I relaxed a bit and took a breather. "I will fight you if you want." I forced to move my body despite the feeling of my muscles ripping apart when I put on my fighting stance. I started to sweat.

Then, the lady broke a laughter.

I gasped. She played with me?! "W-what's is funny?" Do you not wish to fight me afterall? "Even if I just got out from the doctor's clinic, banged up like this, I can still fight."

She grabbed my shoulder with her right arm and smiled subtly at me. "I want to fight you someday, when you're all better." Then, she grabbed my other shoulder with her free hand. Her grip started to feel heavy. I can feel immense strength from her and I feel weary. "Dr. Kishitani told you to rest well, didn't he?"

I nodded.

"And you have an appointment with him tomorrow," she added and I nodded again. "Come on, let's sit down." She pulled me to an empty bed and we sat there. The bed is quite springy and it feels so good to sit on it.

I was curious why she wanted to fight me. I might be too strong for her, but she is not a bad fighter. Her moves are nimble and her grip is hard. "So, when you said you want to fight me..."

"Why I wanted to fight someone who just helped me and got badly beaten up because of me?" she took the words out of my mouth just like that and all I could do is nod like an innocent curious child. "It's been bugging me for a while now that there are other people strong like him."

"Shizuo-san?" I inquired. "His friends told me, too. I'm excited to see how strong he is." I looked at Varona when I asked, "How about you? How did you know?"

She laid down the bed and let herself bounce for a bit, enjoying the firmness and comfortableness of the bed. "Care to listen to a short story?"

I nodded smiling at her. She smiled back, but still as little and as stoic. She doesn't appear to be a person who shows as much expression and Shinra-kun and the others. She isn't Japanese as well, as her appearance and diction suggests. So, it mystifies me why a foreigner like her is in Ikebukuro.

"To begin with, I am not a very animated person..." she began, looking at her palms, moving her fingers and rolling her hands into fists. "I didn't know my family and I was associated with gangs at a very young age..."

"I learned the basic of the basic self-defenses and learned how to attack using those techniques. I joined many of those in order to test the true capabilities and strength of mankind. I yearned to challenge many opponents and beat them into pulps. Stronger, I want to be stronger until that became my purpose of living!" As she explained, she was already grinning and laughing like a maniac. The smile in my face disappeared. She is a very dangerous woman and her intent... is to destroy Shizuo? "Until finally, I was faced with the strongest opponent of all, the toughest, the vastest, and the most unbreakable..."