Chapter 16: Let Her Live

No POV

5 days have passed since M/N's fight with the doctor's creation. He has not awoken. Korra and the gang realize they're going to have to fight Vaatu without his help. They were able to keep the Northern forces out of the city but they were able to secure the Southern spirit portal. Mako and Bolin are currently trying to hold off Desna and Eska while Korra fights with Vaatu and Unalaq.

Your POV

I'm outside in a plain of snow, it's snowing heavily and clouds cover the sky. I stand and begin walking until I see a trail of blood along the snow. I follow the trail, and I see her. Korra... I run over to her and pick her up to face me. I see blood staining the snow around her along with her clothes. She is bleeding from her nose and the sides of her mouth.

You: "Korra! Korra! No! Come on Korra wake up! Please wake up!" No no no. I hear her voice... Yet her mouth doesn't move.

Korra: "Why didn't you protect me?" I see her open her eyes except... They're pure black, her body convulses awkwardly and I see a black mist come from her mouth. A spirit shaped like a large kite appears in front of me.

Vaatu: "Your precious Avatar... Will be mine." Is all it says before disappearing.

I awake in a cold sweat. God, everything hurts. What the hell happe- oh, yea. The doctor's creation. I could've sworn I died, yet this can't be the spirit world, I'm in way too much pain to be dead. I sit up and see the door fly open. Senna appears standing above me.

Senna: "M/N? M/N are you ok? What happened?" I can hear myself breathing heavily.

You: "Where's Korra?" I see Senna grow a worried look.

Senna: "They're all out fighting this Vaatu thing." No... No. I won't let that dream come true. I try to stand and am successful, barely. I stagger over and throw on a black T shirt and pants along with a F/C jacket.

Senna: "M/N? Are you going to help them?" I turn to her and nod slowly. "Is-is it because of a nightmare. I-I heard you shouting... Korra. You were screaming her name... You saw something happen to her, didn't you?" I see her look at her feet. "You saw her die." I look away feeling a tear run down my cheek. I turn and walk towards Senna.

You: "I promise. She will make it out of this alive. No matter what, she will be ok." I turn to leave but feel her grab my arm.

Senna: "I need to ask you something before you go." I turn to face her and nod. "D-do you love my daughter? Do you love Korra?" I swallow hard. I can feel heat rise to my cheeks.

You: "If I'm being honest with you. I don't know. I haven't loved anybody since my sisters died when I was 11. That was a long time ago. I might, but, I've been locked out from my emotions for so long that..." I trail off towards the end. "I can't tell you whether or not I love her, yet, but I do know that I won't let anything happen to her." I see her smile at this. I nod and turn around to leave.

Senna POV

I heard that scream. It was awful. It was far worse than the one he had when he was poisoned. It wasn't that he screamed louder, or that it had more emotion behind it. It was that he yelled her name. My daughter's name. He had seen her die in his dream, I'm sure of it. Though when he said he wouldn't let anything happen to her. I believed him. I don't know why, but I did. Although now I was worried for him. I saw the state he was in when he came back 5 days ago. How pale and fragile he looked. It was the first time I've truly seen him... Defeated. I knew when he said nothing would happen to Korra he meant it, but I also knew if it meant killing himself to keep her alive. He would do it without a second thought. I remember my talk with Katara when we were alone preparing next day's breakfast the night before. Her words still playing in my head. 'He does not fear death, he fears if he dies that the ones he cares for will die. That is the only reason he has survived, to make sure others are safe.' Yet I keep replaying the first sentence in my head. 'He does not fear death. He does not fear death.' This 17-year-old boy had been through and seen more than any man or woman should ever see. Yet somehow... He's fallen for my daughter and doesn't even know it. I smile, but as I turn to walk out of the room I see something sitting on the dresser. I see a golden necklace, with what I assume to be a phoenix at the bottom. I notice it has hinges on it and pop it open. The torso of the bird opens to reveal the faces of 2 young girls. His sisters. I close it and set it down. I look to see a small note sticking out from one of the drawers. I take and unfold it. 'If I don't make it. Give this to Korra. They've looked out for me and kept me alive. I know they'll do the same for her.' I feel tears begin to fall down my cheeks as I place a hand over my mouth. He wasn't planning on surviving this...