Chapter 49: Valek's Emergence

Your POV

Come On! Just a little bit further! I keep repeating to myself as I finish training. I lie down in a lump of snow to try and cool off. I look out towards the sea, and see the sun's nearly set. Tomorrow it happened, tomorrow I am going to kill Valek.

*TIMESKIP*

Well, I guess this is it. I think to myself as I sit alone in my room. It's finally hit me that this is probably my last night on Earth. I get up and walk over to the window, I look out over the city and can still see some older kids playing around with a ball of ice, waterbending it back and forth at each other. I sigh, I have to kill this guy, I can't let him hurt these kids, or anybody else for that matter. I hear a knock at the door.

You: "Come in." I say, as the door opens I see Korra's father, Tonraq appear.

Tonraq: "Any cities near a spirit portal have been evacuated, troops are stationed at each one waiting to see where he comes." I nod and sit down on the bed.

You: "Thanks, I appreciate all the help you've given me over the years." He chuckles and pats me on the back.

Tonraq: "Hey, it's the least I could do after what you've done not only for Korra but for the world too." I nod and look up to see Korra leaning against the doorframe.

Korra: "Awww, look at you two bonding." He chuckles and walks out, saying goodnight to us as he does. I lay back on the bed, letting my feet dangle off the end, I feel Korra lay down next to me. "So? This is it huh? Do you think you're ready?" I chuckle and shake my head.

You: "Not even close. But I have a feeling I'll be able to hold my own, at least for a little while."

Korra: "M/N, I want to help." I groan and look over to her.

You: "Korra, we've been over this. I have to do this alone, I just have too, ok?" She sighs but nods.

Korra: "Just, please don't die, ok?" I laugh but nod.

You: "Sure, but you really care about me, don't you?" A slight blush creeps onto her face.

Korra: "Says the one who's almost died for me multiple times and gets an insane power boost every time I'm in danger." I feel my own cheeks heat up a bit.

You: "Well, in my defense... Ok you win." She ruffles my hair and sits up.

Korra: "You're cute when you try to argue, and when you walk around without a shirt all the time." Oh, forgot about that. I wonder what Tonraq thought about that? I really don't need to have "the talk" from my girlfriend's dad and when I'm 20 years old. I already get enough crap from everybody about being pretty dull when it comes to relationships.

You: "Uh, thanks?" She laughs as I sit up next to her.

Korra: "So? I um..."

You: "You...?" She takes a deep breath.

Korra: "Just, please live through this M/N."

You: "Korra...? What's going on?" She bites her lip.

Korra: "M/N, I-I love you, ok? A-and I don't know what I'd do without you, you were gone for maybe a week... and I regretted pushing you away every second of it. I remember an old saying my father used to tell me... Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies us while we live... I don't want to have a part of me die M/N... I'm begging you, please, please come back to me." I can see how uneasy she is. I hold my arms out and she basically jumps into them. "I'm so scared M/N... I've almost lost you so many times already... How are you so calm?"