Chapter 42: Assassination In Zaofu

Korra POV

We all went back to the temple and agreed we'd talk about it in the morning, although I had a feeling someone wasn't going to sleep very well. Around midnight I walk out quietly and head out to the courtyard, and sure enough, I see M/N sitting on the edge overlooking the city. I walk up and sit down next to him.

Korra: "Hey, what's bothering you?" He looks up and I can see redness around his eyes. "M/N...?"

You: "I left..." He chokes out.

Korra: "No, I drove you away... It was my fault... Your back now and that's what matters." He shakes his head and looks away.

You: "No, I broke my promise..." What? What promise did he break?

Korra: "What promise?"

You: "The night I woke up after Zaheer... I promised I'd never leave you... Yet I did..." He begins to choke up. "K-Korra... I saw them..."

Korra: "Them? Who's them?" I see the tears begin to form.

You: "My family..." Wait? Was this what Jinora was talking about? His visions? "T-they said "I" killed them Korra... My own family was telling me that it was my fault they died... I promised to keep Laura and Eve safe... I didn't... I promised to stand with you... I didn't..." The tears begin to roll down his cheeks... "Korra... I'm so sorry, I-I should have been there when Zaheer poisoned you... You shouldn't have had to go through that..."

Korra: "But you were there." He shakes his head again.

You: "No! I wasn't good enough! I'm never good enough to protect the people I care about! I should have blocked all the poison! I-I..." He takes a deep breath. "I should have been better... Don't worry, I'll stand by my promise to stand with you, but you deserve better than me Korra... You deserve better than a broken and battered kid who's some kind of mutated monster... You deserve so much more... So much that I can't give you... You are the bravest, strongest, and most kind and caring person I've ever met... You made me do things I hated, knowing that they were better for me... You made me talk about my past, that I hated, and wanted to forget... And then, when you needed me... I went off "Training."

Korra: "M/N I-"

You: "I just want you to know one thing Korra... I would do "anything," to keep you safe. If that means taking a sword to the gut, a bullet to the head, or anything else this world can throw at me... I'll die, to make sure a person like you can live. You deserve so much in life Korra... So much more than a broken piece of shit like me..." He stands up and walks away... I try to call out, but no words form... He disappears into the temple.

Korra: "M/N." I say as my head falls into my hands. He wasn't just a broken killer. "He" was the person who deserved so much more... Not me, him. He's saved so many people... He goes through all this pain and suffering in life, I know he's killed, well, a lot of people. But everyone he's killed, he's had a purpose for... I've never seen him kill an innocent person... I've never seen this monster he thinks he is, at least I don't think I have... I don't see a broken boy in him, I see a strong, and brave man. Who doesn't even see the good in himself, he only focuses on the negatives of his life. He never sees the positives, he never thinks about all the good he's done... I get up and walk towards his room, I have to talk to him, he needs to know. I get to his room and knock on the door lightly. No response. "M/N, it's me, Korra." Again, no response. "I'm coming in, ok?" I open the door slowly and see him sitting on the edge of the bed, he had tears streaming down his cheeks, yet no sounds were coming from him. I also notice he had his claws out. "M/N?" He blinks a few times and wipes his eyes.

You: "Oh, hey Korra..." He says softly. I sit down next to him on the edge of the bed.

Korra: "So, what's bothering you?" I ask him. He looks away.