Chapter 56: Training The Instinct

Your POV

We return back to the Southern Water Tribe to begin our training with Vivian the next day.

You: "Ok, what are you gonna teach us first? How to control time? How to travel light speed? Oh, what about super strength! I'd love to be able to toss around building!" Korra hits me on the back of the head while Vivian just stands there confused.

Vivian: "Um, no, for all of them."

You: "Awww man." I say as a hang my head. "I really wanted to throw buildings..."

Korra: "Ok then, what are you going to teach us?"

Vivian: "First, before any kind of training. Hit me."

You: "Excuse me?"

Vivian: "Try. To. Hit me."

Korra: "Um, you sure about this." She nods. M/N looks at me and shrugs.

Vivian: "Wait, no avatar state for you Korra. And you." She says pointing at M/N. "No, well, let's just call it Sun Warrior State for now. And no letting Gaea lend you power." He nods, wait, she's forgetting about whatever he did against Valek.

Korra: "What about the thing he did when he fought Valek?" She looks at me confused.

Vivian: "What did he do?"

Korra: "Well, he kind of, I don't know. It was like his Sun Warrior thingy but silver too."

Vivian: "Did he get an insane boost in speed?"

Korra: "Yea, and he was insanely precise too." Her eyes widen and she looks towards M/N, who seems rather confused by all of this.

Vivian: "Oh my... It can't be... A mortal?" M/N looks at me then back to her.

You: "What?"

Vivian: "Do it. Let the power go." He looks towards the ground.

You: "Well, you see, I um, I kind of... Can't. I don't know how to control it very well."

Vivian: "Try." He nods and takes a deep breath. I see his muscles begin to tense up, and his teeth clench, then there's a flash of silvery F/C light. I look back and see M/N standing there, in his normal state.

You: "I told you, I can't do it."

Vivian: "But you can, that was the power. Its name has been lost in time, but it is real... And you have it M/N. I don't know how. But you do. We'll work with that later, for now, just try to hit me." He nods and gets into a stance. Then we attack, going back and forth trying to hit her. We must have gone for almost half an hour straight, neither one of us could hit her, M/N got close a few times, but we never landed a hit.

You: "How... The hell... Are you... So fast?" He says in between gasps for air. "I was going... all out, yet... I still couldn't hit you." She stands there and laughs.

Vivian: "Because, I have the form that both of you can unlock. An instinctive form among the most powerful spirits. It allows your body to sense for you, you move without the need to think first."

Korra: "An instantaneous reaction time..." She looks to me and nods.

Vivian: "Well done Korra. Now, let's begin again, but now, you may use any powers you wish." I feel a wave of heat rush by me and see M/N engulfed in a red flame. I enter the avatar state and get into a stance alongside him, and we begin again. Again, we go for about half an hour before stopping, and again, we couldn't hit her. I feel the temperature drop and see M/N back to normal as I exit the avatar state.