Troubled Student

"You see you need to find your balance. The place where you can use your powers when you want to but not when you don't need to," I explained as I stood at the front of the class.

My stomach stooped down and I was horribly aware at how pregnant I looked. I felt it too and I really didn't want to be teaching but I insisted on it. Thruster had been fussing over me for as long as I can remember and he didn't approve of me teaching. However he was my mate, not my father so I didn't have to listen to him.

"So once you find that balance you should be able to control your power," I finished as I looked at my class that had nearly doubled in size since when I had started.

I suddenly pricked my ears as I heard a groan. I looked across the room and saw Poultice, my adopted son with his head pressed against his desk. One of his claws was pressed against his temple. His face was twisted in agony and I knew he must be in serious discomfort. He never disrupted class.

"Poultice is something wrong," I asked and I felt shame wash over me as the class turned to look at their fellow peer.

Poultice lifted his head and I saw he was on the brink of tears. "I'm sorry Professor Starlight," whimpered Poultice as he swiped a pad against his eye to flick a tear away. "I just have a really bad headache. May I be excused please?"

My eyes widened a bit in concern. I may have not given birth to him but I felt like his mother and I hated seeing him in such pain. "Er yes of course," I barked quickly as I raised a paw.

Poultice nearly fell from his seat and he staggered toward the door or the room. He raised a paw to open the door but it slipped and his head collided with the hard wood. Some pups drew back as if someone had hit them before Poultice managed to push the door open and stagger into the hallway.

"Also you want to be able to correspond with other mutants and their powers. Your companions need you and you have to make sure that they can count on you and vise versa."

I saw Feldspar nod vigorously. He was the one pup beside Poultice who always seemed to be paying attention. I appreciated that but it always made me chuckle seeing how he hung on to every word I said.

"Well that's all for today. I want your paper on origin on mutation on my desk by friday," I told them before the bell rang.

The pups began to gather their supplies and they whispered to each other about what they wanted to do later. I was used to it by now. I was also used to their gossip and funny stories they loved to tell. I could get used to being a teacher.

"See you later Starlight," called Keen as he set down a paper on my desk. It was a few days late but I did have a soft spot for Keen. He was my other adopted son. "Have a nice day."

"You too Keen," I called as I gave the paper a quick look. It was on how mutant and companion could work together for the greater good. The best paper I had seen was by Poultice but I was sure that Keen had a very insightful view on it. "Now how about working on your work ethic?"

He shrugged before he bounded out of the door. I quickly organized some of my things before I strode out of the door. I didn't have another class and I knew I had to check up on Poultice. I sniffed the air and detected Poultice's scent and it led me toward the restrooms.

I sighed and tapped my claw against the men's room. I wasn't about to go in there but I needed some assistance. There was always one wolf I could count on.