Let's Figure This Out, Together

I couldn't fall back asleep after my nightmare about Starfire. I just watched my pups breath instead of falling back asleep. I really didn't mind since I could function on little to no sleep. I just wanted to make sure that nothing happened to them and I would only be sure if that if I stayed awake to watch them.

When the sun finally shone through a window I lifted my head and looked over to Thruster. He slept like a rock but he was still exhausted from all the classes he had to teach. However he had to get up the earliest to prepare his lessons. I stretched out a paw and shook Thruster's shoulders.

He grunted and rolled back over. "Wake up," I growled into his ear.

"Why," he reported as he lashed his tail against the ground before he buried his face under his paws.

"Because it's time for class," I replied as I leaned forward and licked his cheek affectionately as I tried to stir him. "And I have to take Thyme to see the Professor before he has class."

Thruster muttered under his breath before he lifted his head and yawned. "Alright," he muttered as he licked a paw and drew it over his ear in a quick grooming session. "What are you going to do with the rest of them?"

I sat up and shook my pelt. "I was wondering if you could drop them off with Bobby and Rogue," I asked hopefully.

Thruster sighed before he rose to his paws and gave himself a more thorough grooming. "Yeah I suppose I can," he murmured as he turned and pushed his nose against Murk's ribs. She sprang awake and stretched out her paws a bit, grasping at the air. She turned her head and looked to her father.

"Come on sleepy head," he chided as he leaned forward and picked her up by the scruff. She growled warmly, ready to play. Once he set her down she bolted over to her haunch and leaped on it. She dug her claws into Thruster's haunch and hauled herself onto his back. She growled and began clawing at his ears playfully.

"Easy tiger," I chuckled as I leaned forward and picked up Murk by the tail and swung her over to Thruster's paws. Murk growled a bit at me, showing her fangs in the beginning of a snarl but I began to lick her between the ears and she calmed down a bit but her claws still worked on the ground a bit.

Thruster then turned his attention to Reed who looked like he was chasing something in his sleep. He pushed against Avery's spine and Avery whimpered in anger. Thruster snorted in amusement before he licked Reed's cheek gently. "It's time to get up Reed, " he barked as Murk stalked forward, ready to pounce on her brother's head.

"Get up Reed!" Murk sprang and landed squarely on her brother's tail. Reed's eyes widened in shock and he bolted to his paws. He snarled at Murk before he leaped for her. He grasped her shoulders and they tumbled out of the nest, wrestling and snapping their jaws at each other. It grew more and more rough and I realized it was no longer play.

"That's enough," I growled as I shoved my muzzle between them and nudged them backwards. "Now settle down or you won't get to see Bobby today!"

Murk and Reed recoiled and exchanged angry glances at each other but they didn't attack each other again. Once I was sure they weren't going to launch themselves at each other again I dipped my head to Thruster and he turned to Avery.

"Avery," he whispered as he pushed his paws against Avery's shoulders. "Avery come on. We're going to see Bobby."

Avery groaned before he blinked open his eyes and shook his pelt. "Reed kept battering me last night," he complained as he rubbed a paw against his eyes. "I barely got any sleep."

"No I wasn't," argued Reed defiantly with narrowed eyes.

I shot him a stern look and he shut his muzzle. "It's alright Avery," I assured as my ears twitched. "You can sleep on the other side of me tonight instead of by Reed. Maybe you'll sleep better there."