Answering the Question

I followed the Professor into Cerebro's room. I blinked my eyes to adjust to the light before I trotted in. I looked around and allowed the Professor to place on the helmet that connected to Cerebro. He looked pretty amusing but I wasn't about to say anything. He was helping me after all.

I strode forward and stood beside him. I reared on my hind legs so that I could be level with the Professor. "Stand still," the Professor ordered.

I knew the drill so I tensed my muscle before I was plunged into what I think was a rough stretch of the world. I saw us plunge in closer and I felt my heart leap in my chest a bit. I saw a lot of wolves bustling around and they were red which meant they were mutants. I smiled, knowing that one day they may all become students at Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters. Well maybe not all of them but at least some.

The Professor wasn't looking for them though. He was looking for my pups since that is what I asked for. He turned his attention to those in the school. The Professor zoned in even more and I saw Keen and Smokestream, both red, studying for their upcoming biology text. I heard Keen ask Smokestream different questions about their wing bones since both of them were Wolvys.

The Professor turned his mind again and it landed on Feldspar and Kitty. They were speaking quietly together with Sunset and Colossus across the room. I realized they were playing a game so I blinked my eyes a few times before he turned once more to Thruster's den where the pups were now living until they found companions of their own.

I saw Thruster who of course glowed red. He could turn blazing like fire and grew larger. If that wasn't a mutant then I didn't know what was?

"Now here's the test," murmured the Professor since Thruster was covering my pups with one of his wings to keep them warm.

I realized that the Professor was in Thruster's head. His eyes turned clouded and he stepped off of the pups. I held my breath as the Professor looked into the nest. All of my pups glowed red. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel but I felt relief mix with fear. That meant that my pups would be mutants and have powers but they could be invisible powers like the Professor's or Erik's or it could be outward powers like Mystique or Sunset.

"Do you know what powers they'll have," I asked him.

The Professor opened an eye and chuckled. "I can't do that much," he confessed and I blushed sheepishly.

"Sorry," I stammered before I leaped back and the room turned back to those white tiles. I shook my head to clear it. "I just want my pups to be happy and I'm glad I know that they're mutants so that they're not so terrified when it happens."

"It is frightening when they first appears," the Professor pointed out as he took off Cerebro's helmet and swiveled to look at me.

I smiled a bit. "Yeah I know I was pretty scared when mine appeared. I just want to soften the blow a bit."

"You can soften it but you can't take the full blow," he remind gently as he stretched out a hand and stroked me. I smiled and was glad that he was helping me so much. He didn't have to help me but he always did and he didn't turn me away. He was certainly one of my best friends, beside Logan that is.

"I know. I don't want to hover. I just don't want to be like my father, uninterested," I sighed as I struggled to find a balance. I shook my head a bit. "I also very much appreciate how kind you are to Poultice. He really needs this."

"I'm glad to help him," the Professor assured me as he wheeled forward with me trailing. I kinked my tail over my back and followed him. "He reminds me a lot of myself when I was younger."

"Really," I asked as I pricked my ears. "I haven't known you for that long but I've always known you as well a Professor."

"Back then I was just a very confused Charles," he smiled. I strode out of Cerebro and shook out my pelt.

"I think I'll always be a confused Starlight," I teased myself as I raised a paw and pawed at my face a bit to scratch my muzzle.

"Nonsense," argued the Professor. "It just takes time and a lot of mistakes to become wise. I've made more mistakes than I can count."

"This must mean that Tony is very wise. He's made thousands of mistakes," I snorted as I rolled my eyes.

"That I agree with you," the Professor told me and I rumbled in amusement as I pushed forward.

I smiled before I raised my ears and adjusted my super senses. "I think Poultice needs you," I barked as my fur bristled a bit.

The Professor nodded. "I'll see if I can calm him down. However I think that Thruster needs you. His mind is scrambled."

I dipped my head to him. "Thanks again Charles." I turned and surged forward. Mate to the rescue.