Do We Really Want the Same Things?

Thruster and I strode into his room which I was still using as a den. I set all the pups into the nest of blankets and they curled up together. They soon drifted off and I turned to look at my mate, my eyes adjusting to the lack of light.

"Is everything alright," I asked him as I leaned forward, licking his cheek.

Thruster looked to me with love in his eyes. "I'm just worried about the pups," he confessed as he intertwined his tail with mine.

"Why," I asked as I tilted my head in confusion. They were healthy, they lived in the best place, and they had so many friends here that cared about him. I didn't think it could be better.

"Because what if they are mutants like us," asked Thruster as his breath billowed from his nostrils.

My eyes turned troubled. "There's nothing wrong with being a mutant," I argued as I nuzzled his thick chest fur. "There is nothing wrong with anyone here. We are just special, unique, not dangerous."

Thruster hung his head. "If any of them has a mutant power than it will be my fault because the male passes on the gene, not the female."

"We will love them no matter what," I pointed out as I rested my paw on his. He looked up and into my eyes, smiling a bit. "Right?"

"Of course we will! I just don't want them to have a power like Rouge where they can't touch anyone," he murmured as rested his head on mine. "I want them to be happy and safe no matter what. I just don't know if I can provide that for them."

I smiled and took my head out from under his before I looked into his eyes. "You don't have to be a hero Thruster," I murmured gently. "You just have to be there for them. They don't need to know you're perfect. They need to know you care."

Thruster looked at his paws and shuffled them. "I know. I just didn't have a father figure in my life."

I nodded in understanding. "I didn't have a mother figure in my life but I'm willing to learn now to be the best mother I can be for my pups."

"Do you think that Tony did the best thing for you, when you were a pup," wondered Thruster. The question made my fur bristle but I told myself to calm down. I let out another breath and my fur slicked against my body.

"I'm not sure," I confessed as I looked at my pups. They were cuddled with each other and I longed that they could stay that innocent. "I mean everyone tells me he did what was best for me, not for him but I would have much rather been with my father than a stranger."

"I don't want my pups to grow up resenting me like you resent him," rasped Thruster as if he was breathing through a straw.

"I resent him for other reasons," I murmured as I licked his ear. "He never saw me until I was older or maybe he watched out for me and I never knew. I just didn't see him until a while ago."

"Do you know exactly what happened," Thruster asked as his tail thumped against the ground. "Why he left you?"

I bit my tongue before I shook my head. "No unfortunately I don't. I've tried asking but he usually doesn't answer. It's very painful for him to talk about."

"He really loved your mother, didn't he," Thruster breathed as he lowered beside his pups and licked them each in turn.

I nodded slowly. "Oh yes he did. The Professor told me on numerous occasions how much Tony loved my mother and how what happened with me was not his fault. When my mother died he didn't think he could take care of me and no offense but Erik didn't exactly help. With other forces like humans drawing closer they wanted Erik and Tony dead. He couldn't do that to me so that's why he gave me up." I shrugged. "At least that's what Charles says. I don't think he would lie."

"Me either," mumbled Thruster before he sat up and looked to me. "You said you wanted to speak with him?"

I nodded and looked toward the entrance. "But the pups. If they wake up and need me-"

"I'll look after them," offered Thruster in a tone that didn't allow me to argue. "They have to start learning to spend some time away from you."

I snorted in amusement as I rose to my paws. "You mean have more time with them?"

Thruster rolled his eyes before he looked at Murk who was pushing Reed almost out of the nest. Thruster leaned forward and nudged Reed back into the nest. "I'd like them to come to me with problems. Not just you."

"Oh Thruster," I sighed as I cuffed his ears gently. "That will take time. They've spend nearly two rotations with me. You can't expect them to suddenly want you when all they've experienced is me."

"I don't," growled Thruster as he pawed at the ground. "I just want them to know that I'm their father and I'm going to be here for them just as much as their mother."

I flicked my tail before stretching. "Well if you're good here then I'll just be going," I murmured although I felt a bit of anxiety. This was the first time I was leaving my pups for longer than relieving myself.

"Go on," urged Thruster as he raised a paw and pointed it toward the door.

I knew that he was going to stay that way until I left. I knew that if there was an emergency he would come and get me. Besides I had some things I needed to discuss with the Professor after he was finished with his class. I stifled my worry and dipped my head.

"Alright come get me if you need anything," I barked before I darted forward, leaving my pups for the first time. If only it had been the only time.