Are My Pups Mutants?

I strode out of Logan's room and looked around to see students bustling out of the classes and through the hallways. I smiled at them and kinked my tail over my back. They waved to me and I yipped in reply. I pushed forward toward the Professor's room.

I skipped the tapping on the door since he always told me I could come in. I just strode in and slicked my fur against my body. Surprisingly enough Poultice was in with the Professor. My eyes turned bright with concern. He was laying down with his paws plastered over his ears and he was groaning.

"Poultice," I cried. I was about to leap forward but the Professor lifted a hand so I stayed where I was. I just whimpered in fear and pawed at the ground miserably. Poultice looked in such pain and I couldn't do anything.

"It's alright," chided the Professor over his shoulder since he was still looking at Poultice. "He's going to be fine."

"What happened," I whimpered as I strode closer. When I had strode too close I felt the Professor tense so I leaped backwards, licking my lips.

"Clutch was at the training arena and he started talking to Poultice about Mirage," he confessed as he looked at Poultice with such intensity that I thought he could kill him.

I snarled and worked my claws against the ground. "That wolf-heart! Doesn't he understand how close they were?"

"Apparently not or he doesn't care," sighed the Professor as he let out a rattled breath and turned to me. "I've smoothed down his thoughts a bit but it's only temporary."

I dipped my head. "Thank you. That should help him." I looked over to him again. He looked much calmer and he had removed his paws from his ears as to block out everything. He was laying on his side with his eyes closed and his breath even. "He doesn't deserve what he's going through."

"Most mutants don't," pointed out the Professor as he wheeled closer to me. "Mutants have so many obstacles as you already know."

I looked at my claws which had extended to their full length and I knew that if a human could see them from a distance they would freak. I quickly tucked them back but then remembered that Charles was a mutant. However his he could hide. Some of us could and others couldn't which was extremely difficult on all of us.

"It's gotten more challenging with all of the technology. You can send a picture on a phone and it can go viral," I added as I lashed my tail. "I just hope that my pups don't have to go through any of that."

"Do you think that they're mutants?" I heard interest perk in the Professor's voice. I knew he was as interested as I was if my pups were mutants.

"I don't know," I confessed as I shuffled my paws. "However I want to know. Can you help me?"

The Professor reeled backwards a bit and frowned at me. "You want me to use Cerebro?"

I nodded vigorously and I couldn't help my tail from wagging. "Please! I need to know."

"Why do you need to know so badly," the Professor murmured and I felt the fur on my back spike for some reason. "You'll find out when they reach their emotional peak or puberty."

I bit my tongue to stop from telling the Professor everything. He had that atmosphere about him that I could tell him anything and not feel ashamed. He would always listen and try to help. "I know but I had a dream and I really need to know. I fear for my pups life."

The Professor raised an eyebrow like Logan sometimes did. "What did you dream say?"

I rose to my paws and strode back him to look at a glass. I saw my reflection and for a heartbeat I saw my pups' reflections as well. They were staring back at me and I rumbled in pleasure. They suddenly vanished and my heart leaped in my chest. I shook my head to clear it but I kept looking at my own pitiful reflection. I didn't think I looked beautiful at all but I knew that Thruster saw something in me that I didn't see in myself.

"A cat I once knew appeared to me and told me that my companion relationship comes before any other relationship I will ever have. He then told me that my pups were destined for greatness but that there were many paths to the future," I recalled as I felt my voice crack. "I just need to know if they're mutants, now."

I knew that the Professor didn't want to but he forced a nod. "Alright."

I blinked gratefully and dipped my head. "Thank you. It really means a lot to me."

The Professor raised a hand. "Just know that the only reason I'm doing this is because it would be something that Ivory would do."