Let's Get Home

I bounded out of the brush and saw that everyone else was all ready in their harnesses, ready to go. They looked to me eagerly and I smiled, trying to show them that Tony hadn't jolted me.

"Come on momma," yipped Reed as he leaped a bit and nearly collided with Echo who growled at him. Reed took a surprised step sideways and looked back to me. "We want to play moss ball before it gets too late."

"Alright," I barked as I bounded to the back of the sled and slipped into my own harness. Thruster stood beside me and started at me intently. I felt as though ants were crawling through my pelt and Thruster was making me subconscious. "Is something wrong?"

Thruster shook his head madly. "Er no nothing. What did Tony say," he inquired as he licked his lips in worry.

"I'll tell you later," I whispered before I heard the roar of Logan's motorcycle. Keen was flying beside him, ready to pick up the pace. It might not be lightspeed but it would be close if he wanted to keep up with Logan.

"Alright," howled Thruster as he bunched his muscles. "Poultice, Thyme, take it away."

Poultice nodded and started prowling forward. Thyme copied him before the wave finally reached me and I broke into a run. I looked over my shoulder and saw the Professor gripping his wheelchair for dear life. I was wondering if he really trusted our flying.

In a few heartbeats we began to lift off of the ground. I spread my wings and began flapping them in the same rhythm as Thruster flapped his wings. We flew over the tree tops and I looked down, realizing how much I missed flying in the open fly rather than just in the hallways of the school. I was sure that Thruster missed flying as well.

"Is everyone okay," I called, making sure my pups didn't tire because if they did the sled could fall down.

"Yes," the all called behind their shoulders as they spread their wings to glide a bit.

"I'm surprised at how well they've done," Thruster butted in as he threw his head toward me so that he could talk low.

"They're getting stronger," I pointed out as I tilted my feathers a bit to let the air waft through them. "In less than a moon they're going to be students with companions to look after."

"Are you sure that they're ready for it," fretted Thruster as he looked forward to his pups, joking and talking like any young kids would do.

"I know that they'll be ready for it. You won't," I teased as I rumbled in amusement.

"They're so young and I don't want anything to happen to them," confessed Thruster as wind whipped his face and buffered his fur against his face.

"They're at a school," I pointed out and rolled my eyes. "All day. We are both teachers there and they can come and get us at any time. They'll be fine. You're just overprotective."

Thruster snorted in anger at me and I smiled warmly. "Both of our parents weren't in our lives," pointed out Thruster as he pawed at the sky a bit, giving himself a burst of speed in the air, his back arching. "I don't want it to be that way with my pups."

"It won't," I vowed as I licked Thruster's cheek affectionately. "We are nothing like our parents!" I suddenly realized that I didn't know anything about Thruster's parents. "What were your parents like?"

Thruster flinched a bit, wondering if I shouldn't have asked that. "I'd rather not talk about this now," he grumbled as he showed his teeth in the beginning of a snarl.

I decided to drop it and I just shook my head slowly. "Okay we can talk about it later," I murmured as I looked down and saw the mansion. "Let's lower down, slowly! We don't want the Professor having a heart attack." I looked over my shoulder and rumbled in amusement, seeing Charles still clutching his wheelchair for dear life.

"Don't worry about me Starlight," assured the Professor. "I can't feel my legs so if I fall I shouldn't feel that much."

I flicked my tail over my back before I felt the sled begin to dip down. Thruster and I buffered the landing as the strength and end of the sled. Poultice and Thyme lowered down with Echo, Reed, Murk, and Avery all landing at the same time. Thruster and I were last and the end of the sled came down hard underneath us. We continued forward in a bolt until we reached the garage. Poultice and Thyme then slowed so Thruster and I copied them. We finally made it to an abrupt stop and I looked behind us to see Logan and Keen coming in as well.

"Now wasn't that fun," I joked as I slid out of my harness before trying to give myself a quick grooming after the wind that blown my thick fur all around.

"Yeah we have to do that again soon," quipped Echo as she leaped out of her harness and helped Avery out of his. Avery dipped his head in appreciation before he helped Reed out of his. Thyme and Poultice leaped out of their harnesses and Thruster pushed the sled into the corner once the Professor wheeled off of it.

"Moss ball," asked Reed hopefully as his ears pricked and he leaned forward, ready to hear my answer.

"Yes Reed. Moss ball time," I murmured as I motioned toward the stairs. "Now gather your teams and your father and I will be up in a little bit."

All the pups nodded before they bolted up the stairs, exchanging playful puns about who would win and who would lose. I didn't mind their teasing as long as it was playful. Besides I think that competition is good for pups since it's teaches them drive.

Once all of the pups had left I looked to Logan, the Professor, and Thruster. "Well that went well, didn't it?"

"It did," murmured Logan as he crossed his arms, still looking displeased.

"I know you two didn't approve but Thruster and I discussed it and we decided that he had a right just to see them for a few heartbeats," I barked sternly as my fur bristled a bit. "I know that he's probably not the best role model but he is their grandfather and my father whether or not I like it, which I don't."

"We know that it's your decision," the Professor murmured as he folded his hands and placed them on his lap. "We're just worried for you pups. We don't think that he should be around pups."

I bit my tongue. "I'm not sure he should be around pups either but I know that I'd feel terrible if one of my pups wouldn't let me see their pups," I pointed out as I tried to place myself in Tony's paws.

"Yes but you were with them growing up and you're stableish," Logan pointed out and I narrowed my eyes to slits. I was not stableish! I am very stable!"

"Well it's over now," interrupted Thruster as he took a step toward me. He licked my cheek affectionately and pressed his pelt against mine. "Now it's time for a moss ball battle and I'm sure my pups would appreciate if you two were there." He looked at Logan and the Professor with calm eyes.

"Then let's go," growled Logan as he brushed past me, his hand brushing against my ear. "Did you invite Tony to this too?"

I just ignored him since I needed this to blow over. They may not have approved but I had no choice. He deserved to see my pups and that's all I could say.