Flying Lessons

I strode through the hallways the next morning with my pups following me. Excitement wafted from their pelts in waves and they whispered excitingly all about flying. They hadn't seen any wolves at the school fly yet so I was wondering how they would react when they saw their mother and father flying.

Logan, the Professor, Storm, Poultice, Keen, Echo, and of course Thruster followed. They were a lot more apprehensive than the pups but that was fine. They had never had to teach pups how to fly. Half or them couldn't fly but the ones that could were going to help teach. This was going to be more than interesting.

We all strode onto the basketball court and I spiraled around to face them. I sighed and looked to each of my pups. "I'm going to partner you each up with someone for specific pointers while I'll be the example, okay?"

They all nodded and the wolves that could fly nodded as well. I saw Poultice raise so I dipped my head to tell him that he could ask it. "C-Could I partner up with Thyme," he stammered as he shot my daughter a look. I looked over to Thyme who bounced a bit in excitement, nodding vigorously and frantically.

"Er sure," I barked as I waved my head. Poultice bounded to Thyme's side and yipped excitedly. "Now Echo you can pair up with Murk." Echo dipped her head before she bounded to my more outgoing daughter. They highpawed (like a high five to you humans) and exchanged excited glances. "Keen you can parter up with Avery so Thruster you have Reed."

"Great," barked Keen as he surged forward and touched his nose to Avery's ear. "I would have picked you if I could have picked." Avery smiled, feeling a lot more comfortable around Keen.

Thruster bounded over to his son. Reed looked bummed about having his father as his companion for teaching him now to fly but that was just now things worked out. Thruster scooted closer to his son but Reed just wrinkled his nose in disgust and took a few steps away from him.

I heard Logan chuckle and I shot him a stern look. I turned back to my pups and I spread my own large wings. They were feathered and so were my pups' wings. "Now stretch them out to their full length."

The teachers did so first and my pups copied. I saw that Avery had the longest wings span yet Reed and Murk were both larger than him. "Now let's work on your strength," I suggested as I began to flap my wings and channel air under them. I lifted myself up a bit and looked to my paws. "Like this. Flap your wings until the tips almost touch."

Reed was the first one in the air. He flapped his wings but struggled to keep straight. Thruster stretched out a paw to steady him while he flapped his own wings and showed Reed the control I was looking for. Reed had no desire to take advice from his father though. He just looked away and growled something that I couldn't hear. Thruster did though and he looked away from Reed. I knew it couldn't have been good.

Thyme was next. She flapped her delicate white wings and took a bit higher than Poultice's head. She gasped a bit at the effort it took to stay in the air. That's where the strength came in. I'd have to teach them when they're not flying now they could use their wing muscles. However Thyme managed to keep herself in the air with a little help from Poultice. Poultice flapped his own wings and flew to her side, making sure that her strokes were even and calm.

Murk was the next one to take to the sky. Unlike the others she leaped into the air instead of trying just to take off from the ground. It seemed to work for her. She hovered a bit with her wings spread before she began to flap them and the air churned under her. She howled in enjoyment before Echo flapped her own wings and lowered her down a bit. Murk took her advice and once she lowered she began to fly a bit forwards.

Avery was the last one. Actually he didn't want to leave the ground. He seemed to dislike the idea of leaving the ground but he was a Wolvy and he had wings for a reason and that was to fly. Keen wasn't about to take no for an answer. He stuck out a claw and poked it against Avery's haunch. He leaped upward and stuck out his wings. He didn't want to go near the thing that had just poked him so he flapped his wings madly in an effort to keep away from the ground. Keen flapped his own wings and showed Avery how to keep his head low for swifter flying when he got to top speeds.