One Wolf I Can Count On

I veered toward the Professor's study and I knew that he had just dismissed his class as well. I pushed the door open with my head and saw Thruster and the Professor talking to each other in hushed voices. They turned to stare at me and I smiled a bit.

"Hi," I barked lightly as I romped forward, my underbelly getting in the way. I grumbled before I bounded to my mate's side.

Thruster rumbled in affection and stretched out his nose to touch it with mine. I rumbled and licked his cheek. "I am horribly sorry to interrupt," I murmured with an apologetic dip of my head.

Thruster snorted in amusement. "It's not bother at all," he assured but I knew he was going to say that. He was my mate.

"What can we help you with Starlight," asked Charles as he looked down on me.

I dipped my head. "It's Poultice," I confessed with a heavy heart.

Thruster's eyes widened in shock. "Poultice? What did he do? Write a too good paper?" He let out a snort of amusement and I understood where he was coming from. Poultice never did anything wrong and never got into any trouble. He was the model pup.

I shook my head. "No nothing like that. He's been having a lot of headaches recently and leaving class. He's in the restroom but I'm not sure if he's okay."

Thruster thought for a heartbeat and his tail twitched. "He hasn't come to see me but I suppose he has been a little off."

I felt my heart thump in my chest. I looked to Charles. "Is it dangerous for telepathys to have constant headaches?"

Charles shook his head. "Not normally but it can happen. I used to have very migraines when I was younger and still trying to figure out my powers."

"Come to think of it when's the last time he read anyone's mind," asked Thruster as he leaned forward.

I wrinkled my nose. "Actually I can't remember. He refuses to do anything in class anymore. He does have very rare and powerful powers. Maybe they're getting to him," I suggested as I shuffled my paws.

"Do you want me to speak with him," offered Charles. "You know one telepath to another."

I dipped my head. "Thank you. Thruster could you go and get him. I really don't want to intrude in there."

Thruster chuckled in amusement. "Sure! I'll be right back." He lifted a paw before he sprang forward. He pushed his head against the door and surged forward. Once he was gone I turned back to Charles.

"How are you doing," asked Charles. I wasn't sure if he meant my pregnancy or teaching or emotionally. I had no idea how he wanted me to answer so I just sighed.

"Okay I suppose," I sighed as I sat down and flicked my ears. "I mean I've been worried about Keen for a while. My pregnancy is going smoothly so that's good. I really enjoy training all of the pups. They're so bright and have a lot of potential."

"Do you think they'll make good companions," he inquired as he wheeled forward a bit.

I beamed. "Of course I do! I mean they have a lot to learn but once they do they'll be great assets. They all seem very excited to be X Pack members."

Charles smiled. "I'm glad. They have a very good alpha," he pointed out as he stretched out a hand and ruffled the fur between my ears, a move usually Logan did.

I rumbled in amusement. "You are the true alpha to them. I'm more or less a beta," I corrected but I didn't know if he understood the hierarchy of a pack of wolves.

"So how are their powers going? Have you had any...accidents?"

I stiffened since I knew what he was talking about. Last week I had been working one on one with Feldspar. He could disperse atoms or the millions of particles that make up objects and transport them somewhere else. He could do everything from pencils to giant history books. I decided to test him even more so I had him disperse Scott's motorcycle. Well he put it back, just not where I would have like it. Let's just say that there was a lot of cleanup and a very angry Scott.

"Not since you know that one," I murmured as I shuffled my paws. "Keen is getting very good teleporting other places and walking through objects just like Kitty. I can see why they make such a great match. Also that new pup, Echo. They are are progressing." My face suddenly fell. "All except Poultice."

"Explain to me what exactly is happening to him," urged Charles as he wheeled around and grabbed a book and opened it slowly.

I twitched an ear. I wasn't a telepath so I didn't know what was all happening with him but I knew that it was out of the ordinary, even for him. When he was in the battle with Triflud he had discovered his power. However he hadn't used them that much. I didn't remember him reading minds. I only remembered him projecting others thoughts into their own minds. I knew he could and I also knew that he was destined to be a very powerful telepath like the Professor.

"Well he's so unfocused and it's not like him. His eyes dart around madly like he can't control it. He doesn't like to do anything with the other pups and I'm afraid he's isolating himself," I explained as I thought of everything that I had seen happening to Poultice throughout the last few weeks.

"Has he complained about anything else besides headaches," inquired Charles as he kept flipping through his book.

I shook my head. "He doesn't like to complain about much. He doesn't like to show weakness. I'm sure that he's in worse shape mentally than he wants to admit."

Charles nodded before he heard a whimper at the door. My heart almost fell in my chest. If anyone could help Poultice though it was the Professor.