Departure

I awaited at the entrance of Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters. I held my breath as Logan strode to the entrance. Of course he packed nothing and I wasn't even sure where we were going. He declined to share that information with me.

Perhaps I was making a mistake. Maybe I should have stayed and been with my mate and pups, the one who I sworn my love to. I had sworn a companionship to Logan. Was it the same? I had no idea. I had been told by numerous mutants that Logan could take care of himself and that I should remain with my pups. I knew he could but he was friend and friends don't abandon each other.

I waited at the entrance and Logan came to me. "Are you ready," he asked.

I pricked my ears, not exactly sure what to say. "As ready as I'm going to be." Logan was about to push out of the entrance but I shot out a paw and extended my claws into his hand and tugged him backwards. "Wait! I have to say good-bye."

To my surprise Logan didn't argue with me. He just nodded and stood with his arms crossed. I just sat with my back turned to him. After what seemed like forever I saw Thruster peek around the corner. I perked up as I saw him and he bounded forward.

We touched noses and I let out an excited rumble. "I'm so sorry," I apologized as I fought back tears.

Thruster looked at me with bright eyes and licked the tears that threatened to fall down my cheeks. "Don't be. If this is what you need and want then I will support you on that. I'll miss you though and I'll think about you every day."

"I'll be thinking about you as well," I rumbled as I licked his cheek.

I then heard the sound of smaller paws on the floor. I turned my head and saw Thyme, Reed, and Avery charging forward. Avery was the first one to me and he leaped on my shoulders. I rumbled in amusement and bucked a bit but he had a firm hold. I raised my wings and scooped him up before I thrust him on the ground gently. He was on his back and I ran my paws through his belly fur and he chuckled in amusement.

I then lifted a paw and Avery bounded back to Thruster and stood between his father's front paws. Reed was next. He padded over and stood on tiptoes with his nose pointed upward. I snorted in amusement before I arched my neck and touched my nose to him. "My little warrior," I murmured gently. "One day you're going to be so strong and smart just like your father."

Reed wagged his tail. "I know. One day!" He turned and bounded forward and pressed against his brother's pelt.

Thyme was next. She strode over and weaved between my legs, rumbling as she pushed her head against my chest fur. "You're going to be an excellent healer. I know it!"

Thyme brightened before she charged back to Thruster. I was about to turn and leave but to my surprise Poultice, Keen, Echo, Feldspar, Ripple, Asphalt, and Redscar all came striding down the hallway. They brightened as they saw me. I didn't know I was that popular.

"You call came to say good-bye," I chuckled in amusement as Redscar touched his nose to my ear.

"We wouldn't miss he," he replied as he wagged his tail. "Besides I wanted to know if I could have your and Logan's room."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure but just until I get back!"

Redscar took a step beside Thruster and dipped his head. "Deal! I've always wanted to softest bed in the school."

I snorted before Asphalt padded up to me. "T-T-Thanks for e-e-e-everything," he stammered as his tail wagged madly.

"It was my pleasure," I assured him before Ripple stepped forward.

"Safe travels," he murmured. "And I promise I'll watch over these mischievous balls of fur."

I smiled. "Thank you."

I then watched Feldspar take a skip forward. "By the time you come back I promise that I'll have my powers under complete control."

I rumbled in amusement and licked his ear. "Then I look forward to it."

He then bounded back over and leaned against Ripple a bit. Keen and Poultice then padded forward with Echo close behind. Echo was the first to draw toward me and I wrapped one of her wings around her.

"I'm so glad Charles found you," I breathed in her ear before I realized her from the hug. "You will forever be part of our family. We're your parents now."

I looked to Thruster and he gave a small nod. Echo then sat back on her haunches and wagged her tail. "Thank you Starlight, for everything!"

I dipped my head before Keen padded forward. "I'm really going to miss you Starlight but I know I'll see you again."

"Yes you will," I assured as I licked his cheek. He then bounced back to Echo and the two touched noses and stood with their fur brushing.

Poultice was the only one left. He took a shaky step toward me. "You promise you'll come back? You're the only mother I have left."

I nearly down and hugged him against my chest fur, my heart aching. "Of course I'll be back. I couldn't leave you for that long. I love you like a son Poultice. I love everyone here."

"Me too," choked out Poultice as tears streamed down his pelt. "And when I see you again I hope that I can be like the Professor!"

"I'm sure you will," I told him. "I want you to know how proud I am of you."

He smiled and licked my ear. He then closed his eyes and I heard his voice in my head.

Remember I'll always be here if you need me. Just reach out.

I smiled and nodded to let him know I understood. Perhaps it wouldn't be as difficult as I thought for us to all stay in touch.

"Time to go," murmured Logan and I could tell how impatient he was getting.

I gave him a curt nod before I watched him stride out of the building. I cast one last look over my shoulder and saw the family that I was abandoning. For a heartbeat I wanted to just turn around and tell Logan that I changed my mind. However I couldn't, I just couldn't!

I took in a gulp of air that nearly burned my lungs before I forced myself forward.

"So where are we going," I asked dryly although I really didn't want to know. I just wanted to cool off a bit.

Logan looked over his shoulder. "Home."

"But this was our home," I argued tersely as my tail gave an unexcused lash. "This place took us in when no one else would! What place is better than this?"

Logan shot me a glance that I knew I probably shouldn't argue. I looked at my paws and I heard him grumble something.

"We're going home to Canada. I don't belong him anymore," he confessed to me before he continued forward briskly.

I drew forward and brushed against his leg, rumbling a bit. "Then I'll stick by you, Wolverine."

I didn't know exactly where we were going or what we were planning on doing when we got there but I knew as long as I stayed with Logan I would be safe and so would he. After all we were companions and together we had survived The Last Battle.