Meeting the Professor

My pups darted into the room. They nearly pushed me over but I regained my footing and pushed myself forward. I looked into the ground and I was glad it was just the Professor, Feldspar, Keen, Poultice, and my mate in the room. I didn't want a large crowd since this was the first time my pups would be meeting anyone. I was still nervous of how this would go.

"Starlight," gasped Keen as he padded out from behind the Professor's desk and looked at me and smiled.

"How are you doing Keen," I asked as my pups bounded around the room, looking in every which way.

"Great," he murmured as he looked to his side and Poultice strode beside him. He looked over at me and dipped his head, beaming.

"Dad," gasped Murk as she darted toward Thruster. The rest of her littermates followed and leaped around him, yipping at him. Thruster growled back at them and pushed his head against each of his pups' flanks and rumbled in amusement.

"Hey pups," he chuckled as he licked Thyme between the ears since she was being the calmest out of her four siblings. "Is this your first time out of the den?"

"Yeah and mom said that we can meet everyone in this room," howled Reed as he looked around madly.

Thruster chuckled and strode toward me, his eyes lit in affection. "Well there isn't that many of us here right now but you can meet those who are here," he barked before he strode up to me and we touched noses. I rumbled in affection before I steered him around to look at his pups.

"Come on out pups," I ordered but to my surprise Keen, Poultice, and Feldspar filed out first and I couldn't help but let amusement light in my eyes. I kept forgetting they were pups as well but I had meant my pups. Luckily they wanted to see the older pups so they followed with their heads held high and their shoulders cocked.

"Poultice," gasped Thyme excitingly as she reared on her hind legs and rubbed her head against his shoulder.

Poultice smiled before she licked Thyme between the ears. She sat back down and wagged her tail before she looked to her father who looked like he was about to lunge. I quickly rested my tail against his tail to try and calm him down. "They're just friends. Poultice is helping her out of her shell a bit and she reminds him of himself. Let him be."

Thruster growled half to himself before he turned to Murk and Reed who were flanking Feldspar. "Hey pups," yipped Feldspar as he lowered into a crouch, his haunches wiggling. "Do you want to play?"

"Yes! Yes!" Murk leaped onto his back before Reed tried to push his head into his shoulder. Feldspar was a lot stronger than two pups though so he just stood tall while they tried to push him down.

Keen had strode toward me so that left Avery. He was stalking around a bit behind the Professor's dest and looking around madly. He suddenly let out a gasp and darted backwards. He surged toward me and ducked between one of my legs back there. "Something bumped my nose," he wailed.

I leaned down and licked him between the ears. "What did it feel like," I asked as I tried to get him to describe it.

"It felt cold and really hard," he explained as he raised a paw to his nose and rubbed it gingerly. Murk and Reed had ducked back to see if their brother was alright and I allowed Thruster to try and comfort them but they wanted me. He looked crestfallen but I just shot him a look of reassurance.

I jolted back before I looked up. I knew that the Professor had been hanging back a bit so he didn't startle my pups. My pups had only ever seen mutants walking. They didn't know what a wheelchair was and I knew that they would be started about how it looked and how it sounded since I knew the first time I had seen a wheelchair I had been very startled. I wanted to ease them in slowly but I had to plunge in now.