Conversations Over Dinner

I strode into the cafeteria and saw that they were serving pizza and salad since it was Monday night and everyone always wanted pizza after a long day at school. I grabbed a large pizza to share with Thruster. I set it on a table and sat on a chair.

Thruster leaned forward and took a piece out of the pizza, swallowing it whole. "So do you think that the pups are alright," he inquired as he licked the sauce from his mouth.

"I'm sure that they're fine," I barked as I took another bite of pizza. "They're just hanging out after school. Believe it or not that's what normal pups do."

Thruster rolled his eyes. "I'm sorry for being concerned Starlight but I love my pups and want to protect them."

"You can only protect them for so long," I pointed out as I rolled my eyes. "They're going to get older and then you can't control them. Some may want to leave and some may want to stay. You can't force them either way."

Thruster let out a shaky sigh. "F-Fine," he stammered as he took another slice of pizza and took a large chunk from it. "I know I can't but I can maybe influence them, a little."

"Oh Thruster," I chided as I rose to my paws and padded toward him. I reared on my hind legs and licked his cheek. "I love you more than anything and you know that but you need to release your hold on them a bit. They're going to school now and they're going to have other plans beside us."

"What do you mean," asked Thruster as he flicked his ears upward in concern.

I drew back a bit and sighed heavily. "Well for starters I talked to the Professor and he agreed that the pups are going to have their own rooms."

"Own rooms," echoed Thruster in shock as his fur spiked and he shook his head to clear it. "But they can just stay with us. We're their parents!"

"Quiet," I scolded as I shoved my ears forward. "Anyway yes they do need their own rooms. They're going to be with each other. Well Avery and Reed together and Murk and Thyme. Toms and shes."

Thruster licked his chomps. "Pease no!"

"They need their own space," I breathed gently as I licked his cheek affectionately. "And so do we. I mean we haven't alone time or what humans call a 'date' in rotations."

Thruster smiled and turned to look in my eyes. "Have I told you how beautiful you are," he asked with gleaming eyes.

I growled playfully. "Not now," I chided as I butted my head against his shoulder. "Anyway tonight I'm going to stay with Logan and you need to stay with the Professor and the pups are sleeping with each other, okay?" I gave him a stern look and he let out a deep sigh. "Okay?"

"Okay," he grumbled as he took another bite from the pizza. "But I don't like it."

"Well if it makes you feel any better Thyme wants to be a healer. That means that you may be able to train her," I barked as I rubbed my head under his thick chest fur. "That means at least you'll be with her when she's not in school."

Thruster forced a smile. "Alright I suppose."

"There you go," I teased as I nipped at his ear playfully. "You're at least guaranteed to have Thyme in your life for a while."

His tail thumped against the ground. "Very true." His head hung and I understood why he was being so clingy.

"I know that your father was abusive," I murmured, remembering the mark I had seen on the back of his neck where his father had beaten him. "I know that you're overcompensating for your father but remember to give them time to breath and be their own wolves. We'll be there when they need us but not before then, okay?"

Thruster licked his lips. "I'll try. I just want them to know that I'm always going to be there for them."

"Trust me they know," I assured with round eyes. "Wait until I tell them that you still want them to sleep in the same room!"

Thruster growled playfully and licked my cheek. "Don't you dare! Especially don't tell the she-pups! They've been a bit moody."

"They aren't moody," I chided in amusement. "They're she-wolves and she-wolves are a lot different than toms."

Thruster rose to his paws and puffed out his fur. "I don't know why. They're so emotional."

"Well you're going to be training one so you better learn how to relate to them," I teased as I flicked my tail against his haunch. "Now come on. Let's see how the pups are doing."