Interesting Discussion

I strode from the jet and bounded into the school. There was nothing I could do with Jean so I knew that I should go see my pups. They had probably been wondering where I had been.

I padded into the hallway and looked at Echo and Keen who trotted side by side, wagging their tails. They talked quietly and laughed at each other. I rolled my eyes in amusement. Thruster and I never acted like that but that didn't mean much. They were a lot younger than we were and we were only getting older.

"Hey Keen have you seen Avery, Thyme, Reed....Murk?"

Keen nodded. "Er yeah they're in the music room," he replied as he wagged his tail. "At least everyone but Murk."

I nodded slowly and veered toward the room. I pushed my way in and saw my pups and Poultice sitting around, talking mostly. Poultice looked over to me when I came in and wagged his tail. "Hi Starlight! Do you want to play a game with us?"

I shrugged and bounded forward, my tail lashing. "How did you like science today," I asked. "I knew that you had a project today?"

"It was fine but my partner didn't show up," growled Avery as he lashed his tail in anger.

"Who was your partner," I asked as I sat down and licked a paw before I drew it over my ear in a quick grooming session.

"Murk," spat Avery like the name was poison on his tongue. I didn't want him to think of his sister as nothing and it made my fur prickle along my spine.

"Er well I'm sure that you won't get any points off," I assured as I licked his cheek before I looked to Thyme. "How's training with your father?"

"Good," she replied. "I know a lot of herbs and even some human medicine. He's a great teacher too, just a little overprotective."

I chuckled in amusement. "Yes I can see your father being that way," I rumbled as I licked her between the ears.

"So what's all the commotion about Alkaline lake," asked Poultice as he lashed his tail. "The Professor seemed, a bit off today I guess you could say."

I sighed inwardly. Nothing ever gets past a telepath. "Yes well it's nothing for right now but we're monitoring it," I lied, hoping that Poultice wouldn't detect it. I didn't want him to know about Jean since he'd want to know if coming back to life could happen to Mirage.

He seemed to believe it and I was pleased that he didn't read my mind. I let out a breath of relief when I saw him turn to Avery.

"Hey does anyone want to sing a few songs," he offered before he looked to me, his eyes gleaming.

I let a rumble roll in my throat. "Thanks little one but I'm going to go check on Logan," I barked as I waved my tail. "You go ahead."

Thyme looked liked she wanted to argue with me but Reed bounded in front of her and steered her toward the small stage they had made for themselves to practice on. Avery followed and Poultice looked like he wanted to but he suddenly turned and stared at me with round eyes. Fear sparked through me as he tilted his head, having that expression that he might be reading my mind.

"What really happened at Alkaline lake," he whispered, his ears twitching.

My eyes bared down at him and I tried to be angry but I just couldn't. "Do you already know," I shot back.

Poultice took a step back and looked at his paws. "No. Not yet," he confessed but his voice edged suspicion. "But I doubt it's nothing."

I shuffled my paws. Poultice was getting older and he was much wiser than I would ever be. I would never be able to keep much from him and not just because he was a telepath. "It's nothing that serious Poultice. Now go and play."

I pointed a paw toward my pups as they bounced around on the stage, beginning to get their instruments out and trying to decide on a song. Poultice looked at them and frowned. "Please tell me if it's something more," he begged but before I could answer he bounded onto the stage and took lead like the leader he was.

I padded toward the door before I looked over my shoulders at the pups. I really hoped that they wouldn't feel that something was wrong because I knew something certainly was.