Trust Issues

"Starlight! Starlight!"

I turned my head from me dropped off my pups with Thruster. I had explained to him what happened and he had been more than willing to take the pups for a bit and try and calm them down. He was furious about what Scott had done and he had fussed over me a lot too before I finally assured him that I was fine.

He hadn't wanted me to venture out through the hallways with Scott maybe out there but I assured him that I was fine. He was worried for me and I understood but I had to speak to the Professor about Scott. His mental state could be a hazard to the children in the school.

I heard my name being called though so I spiraled around and flicked my ears. I brightened as I saw Logan. "Logan," I barked as my tail wagged.

Logan kneeled down and stoked me awkwardly. "Are you alright? I heard what happened with Scott."

I flinched. I didn't want the whole school to know. I may not be too fond of Scott right now but that didn't mean I wanted rumors going around. He wasn't anyone's favorite teacher before, he would probably be hated now.

"I'm er fine I can heal," I pointed out as I looked toward my hind leg. I wrinkled my nose in disgust before I shook my head to clear it. "It's no big deal."

"No big deal," echoed Logan in shock. "He could have killed your pups!"

"I know," I sighed as I thought of what would have happened if he had been just a bit more to the left and he could have got my underbelly and probably my pups as well. I couldn't bare thinking what would have happened.

I turned my head away and growled since that was usually how my fear showed itself, in rage. "Where are you going?"

I turned back to look at Logan and I bared my teeth in a snarl. "I don't know," I confessed as I hung my head. "Probably out flying. That's usually what I do when I'm conflicted."

"Conflicted," echoed Logan in confusion. "Why are you conflicted?"

I turned back to look at him with my tail tip lashing. "I'm not sure. It's just that it's so hard to trust humans."

"We're not humans," corrected Logan as he extended one of his claws. "We're mutants."

I dipped my head. "I know but you're still part human. You still walk and talk and do things like humans. I'm still a wolf even though I have wings. I'm a sub species of them."

"Your point," asked Logan as he raised an eyebrow in impatience.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "My point is that it's so hard for me to trust humans," I confessed. "I mean I trust you and the Professor but others-" I trailed off and sat down. "I just don't know. Humans can turn on you quicker than a wolf can pounce on a caribou. I don't want my pups to live in fear or what would happen if a human turned on them. I want them to think of them as friends, companions."

"They do," Logan breathed. "I mean they see you and me, Thruster and the Professor, Keen and Kitty, Poultice and Bobby, Echo and Rouge, and that's just to name a few."

I brightened a bit and nodded. "I know but I don't want them ever to have the fear that humans would turn on them like Thruster and I have always have."

"They won't," vowed Logan as he stroked my pelt. "I won't let them. I will make sure they can always trust us. Perhaps not all of the X-Men but at least a few of us."

"Thanks Logan," I murmured as I pressed my head against his hand before I rose to my paws and strode forward a bit. "Well I better get going. Thruster can only handle the pups for so long."

Logan sat up and smiled. "Well good luck with those little nightmares."

I flicked my tail over my back. "They're really not that bad," I argued with bright eyes. "Besides one day you may have to watch them for Thruster or I."

Logan's eyes widened in shock. "No way! You really want to leave pups in my care?"

I thought for a heartbeat before I shuffled my paws. "Good point. I don't think Thruster would trust you though."

"Smart wolf," Logan told me before he looked back over his shoulder. "I have to go. I'm going to teach a history class for the Professor."

"I'll warn the children before they get in there," I teased before I lifted a paw and pointed toward my den. "Well I'll see you later Logan!"

"See you Starlight," Logan called back before I darted toward my den, ready to care for my pups.