Funeral

I woke up early and I realized that Logan was already up. He was in the bathroom and while he was getting ready I decided to get my pups ready. They would have to look their best as well. They really never had to dress up so I knew that they'd probably have no idea what to wear.

I leaped from the bed and opened the door. I stepped into the hallway and bolted down to the student's area. I stopped at Thyme and Echo's door. I knocked and I heard grunts for an answer. I rumbled and pushed it open.

I saw that Thyme was already up, staring aimlessly out of the window. Echo was still half asleep and was nearly falling off of the bed.

"It's time to get up," I told them as I saw Echo lift up her head and yawned to expose her small teeth.

"Get up for what," asked Echo as she pawed at her eyes. "Don't classes not start for like another hour?"

I licked my lips. "There are no classes today," I confessed gently I saw that Thyme had the same absent look in her eyes that Logan had had the day before. She must know. "I need you two to get dressed into nice clothes and then come outside."

"Why," asked Echo as she sat up and stretched out, her shoulders rippling.

I knew this wasn't going to be easy. "Because something happened yesterday, something horrible." This time Echo and Thyme turned to look at me as they knew what I was about to say was really important. "Echo, Thyme, the Professor is dead."

Thyme didn't say anything but I saw the flicker in Echo's eyes as if she lost something that would never be replaced. "No," Echo cried as she leaped from the bed and was about to bolt to the door but I leaned forward and caught one of her wings in my teeth. She fought to break out of the grasp but I was much stronger than she was.

"It's alright Echo," I chided as I then grasped her scruff and set her down in front of me. "The funeral is today and I'd like everyone to attend. Could you two please wear something very nice and attend the funeral?"

"No problem mom," barked Thyme as she jumped from the bed and padded toward the closet. I was about to follow her but she swiveled around and shot me a look that told me to stay back and that she could handle it. I dipped my head in understanding and padded to my sons' room.

I pushed my way in and saw that they were already getting ready. I knew that Poultice must have came in and told them about the Professor.

I saw that Avery was desperately fiddling with with a tie around his neck. I rumbled in amusement as I bounded over and fixed it for him. I saw him hang his head and I nudged his chin upward with my paw. He forced a smile and I knew that things weren't going to get any easier.

"Are you two ready," I inquired as I checked them and they looked presentable.

"Do we have to go," complained Reed as he pawed at his bow tie and shuffled around madly in discomfort.

"Yes," I barked as I straightened it for him and licked him between the ears. "It's respectful and everyone else is going."

"Fine," muttered Reed as he padded toward the entrance with Avery following. I brought up the rear and when we entered the hallway I saw numerous students, humans and wolves alike, padding down the hallway and toward the outside. She saw Feldspar and Somestream walking side by side and talking quietly.

I saw some of my other students and I even saw Clutch or seemed surprisingly quiet. Everyone looked nice, except for me. I veered toward Logan's room and let my pups walk with each other.

I pushed into my room and saw Logan. He looked to me and to my relief he looked a bit better than usual. He certainly wasn't going to wear a suit and tie like everyone else but that was alright. I thought about wearing something but I knew it would just make me look worse than I probably already looked from a restless night of sleep.