Knowing What Poultice Could Become

The Professor seemed a little surprised by my question but to my relief he didn't dismiss it like most mutants would probably do if I asked them about their powers. He placed the book he was holding down and rolled toward the window where he could see a clear view of the dodge ball game.

"Why do you want to know," asked the Professor as a smile appeared on the corner of his mouth. He watched his newest pup runway, Echo, catch a ball that Colossus threw. She howled in delight while Poultice and Keen congratulated her.

"Because I feel responsible for Poultice, "I explained as I took a step forward into the light that streamed from the window. "He's like a son to me and I want to help him in any way I can but I can't help him if I don't understand what he's going through. I don't understand telepaths and I'd like to learn."

"We're just like other mutants," pointed out the Professor as he continued to watch the game. I wondered a bit if he wished he could join in.

"Just like other mutants," I echoed with a snort. "You just told Poultice that telepaths are one of the most powerful mutants. Did you think I wouldn't pick up on it?"

"I was hoping." The Professor watched as Thruster threw a dodge ball right for Keen with one of his wings. The ball hit Keen square in the head and he staggered backwards, taking out Feldspar in the process.

"Look I know Poultice is different than you and Jean in a way. You are all telepaths but he just seems different," I murmured wondering how the mention of Jean would jolt the Professor.

Luckily it didn't. He just spun around and wheeled toward me. "He is different since he's having a lot harder time controlling this than I ever did. However he is a wolf. Perhaps it is different."

I shook my head madly. "I don't think there's any difference in that respect. I just need to know what I can do to help him. I don't need him crumbling like this again."

"If he ever seems to be close to that send him to me," ordered the Professor as he wheeled to his desk. "I should be able to calm him down."

"Should," I echoed as I tilted my head. "What if your guard is down and he sees something in your mind?"

"That won't happen," argued the Professor as he wheeled back to the window. He was very much enjoying seeing his students throw balls at each other for pure enjoyment. In a way it was readying them for combat. "You don't have to worry Starlight. He's in good hands here."

"I know," I muttered as I felt a twinge in my underbelly as if my pups were trying to tell me something but I didn't understand. "It's just hard because I'm concerned for him. I don't expect you to understand, you're not a father."

The Professor swiveled around and I realized I had said something wrong. "No I'm not but I consider everyone of these students here part of my family."

I dipped my head. "Er of course. I know you do." I shook my head to clear it before scowling. "I just wish there would be something I could do to help him more. I know I'm not his mother but that doesn't mean I don't love him."

"I understand and I think your friend Logan does too," the Professor chuckled as he watched Logan fire a ball toward Rouge. She ducked and it in turn hit Bobby who jolted backwards a bit at the blow.

I kinked my tail over my back. "Very true," I rumbled half to myself. "Now have you heard anything from Erik or Tony?"

The Professor shook his head. "Are you honestly sure you want to hear something from them?"

I shook my head madly, agreeing. I certainly didn't want Tony around now. I didn't know if he could sense when a she-wolf was pregnant and I wasn't sure if he would approve in the first place. I really didn't care if he approved or not. This was my life, not his.

"Are you going to tell him when you have pups," asked the Professor as he looked toward my swollen underbelly. It seemed to be growing with every breath I take.

My eyes widened in shock. "Great Starbound no!" I let out a growl and looked at my stomach with a surge of protection toward my unborn pups. "I would never let him near my pups!"

"He is related to them," the Professor pointed out as he wheeled forward and stroked me between the ears and I let out an angry breath. "He does deserve to know that they exist and to be in their lives."

I wasn't so sure. He didn't feel it important to be in my life when I was a pup. However I had heard from the Professor that Tony couldn't have taken care of me. He was trying to make an effort now to be my father but that didn't mean I wanted anywhere near my pups. I just sighed and sat back on my haunches as I began to groom my underbelly.

"I just don't want him to hurt them," I confessed as my eyes darkened. "Besides they'll have a mother and a father. What more do they need?"