Calming Thruster's Fears

"What in the name of Starfire was that?!"

Thruster spiraled around, his fur bristling in shock. He let out a raspy breath. "Starlight you scared me out of my fur!"

I bared my teeth in the beginnings of a snarl. "Yeah well you deserved it," I flashed as I clicked my teeth together and Thruster's eyes widened like moons.

"What did I do," asked Thruster as he took a few steps back until he collided with the wall in the hallway. He looked at me and the breath seemed to caught in his throat.

"What did you do," I echoed as I lashed my tail against the ground. I prowled toward Thruster and he struggled to look at me. "You walked out on Reed. Do you know what that does a to a pup like Reed?"

Thruster shook his head madly. "I didn't mean to hurt him," he murmured into his chest fur. "I just couldn't be in that environment."

My ears twitched in confusion. "What do you mean," I asked as I tapped my claws against the ground.

Thruster looked away from me since I knew that he didn't do well with intense stares. I sighed and leaped backwards, swearing under my breath. "Look Thruster I love you and you know that I always will but something has been up with you," I confessed as I tried to get him to look me in the eye but he refused. I took a step back so he could breath a bit and relax his tensed muscles. "You can tell me anything Thruster. We're mates and I want to help you through anything you're going through."

Thruster smiled before he stretched out his neck and licked my cheek. "I love you too Starlight. However there are some things that you just wouldn't understand if I told you."

He strode forward and I let out a whimper. He pricked his ears and sighed as he turned. He suddenly bolted toward me and pushed his head into my shoulders. He took a step back and bit his lip. "Look Starlight I had a rough life just like you did but mine was different rough. I was in a pack of wolves where the healers were at the bottom of the pack."

"Your point," I asked, not trying to be curt but that was just my personality.

Thruster shoved his head to the side. "My point is that I was taunted and teased every day of my life and when I look at my pups I see myself. I don't want them to go through what I went through."

"None of us do," I pointed out with sympathetic eyes. "I was made fun of by humans. I didn't have what our pups do, friends."

"I know but when I saw Reed I lost it. I'm sorry I don't want anyone to hurt them and I know that someone will," he snarled before he turned and let out a hefty sigh. "When they get out into the real world they are going to be butchered and I can't allow that."

I let my fur plaster against my body and I let out a raspy sigh. "I think that your fears are a little extreme," I pointed out as I looked at my paws. "Not all humans hate mutants and they won't even know from looking at our pups that they're mutants. Their wings are disguised."

Thruster didn't speak for a few heartbeats and that made me nervous. He lifted his head and met my eyes. I saw his green eyes sparkle and I couldn't help but let my tail wag. "I suppose you're right."

"How about we plan a field trip," I suggested as I tried to make my voice sound excited. "Our pups and maybe Poultice, Keen, Echo, and Feldspar. Logan and Storm might be able to come too and maybe even Bobby and Rogue."

Thruster dipped his head. "That would be fine as long as we're with the pups," he murmured and I felt his overprotectiveness coming out again.

"Don't worry," I barked as I smiled halfheartedly. "We'll be with them at all times."

"Well when would we go," asked Thruster and I hoped that he was getting a little more interested in the idea of a trip away from the mansion. I actually hadn't left since Stryker had captured Mirage and some other students we had to rescue them.

"Well I think we should wait until Murk gets her mutant power," I barked before I strode forward and pressed against Thruster's side. I intertwined my tail with his. He licked my cheek and I rumbled.

"Agreed," he murmured in my ear before he strode away from me. "I have to correct some tests and I think Logan needs some more help with Algebra. Poultice can only do so much."

I rumbled before I dipped my head. "Have fun. You can come into the den if you want."

He sighed. "I really shouldn't. It'll be very late and I won't want to wake them at that time." He smiled. "I'll stay with the Professor tonight and I'll see you early in the morning. Love you."

"I love you too," I called back as I strode toward the pups' room. I hoped I had made Thruster feel better but really I felt more conflicted than ever. My fear was growing that maybe society would never accept mutants or my pups. Little did I know that my fears were justified.