Why You Gotta Be So Mean?

I laid in Logan's room when I heard something. It sounded like music and it surprised me. I lifted myself off and Logan's hand fell from my pelt. I shrugged it off and bounded to the door. I opened it up and pushed myself out, my tail lashing a bit. I heard the beat and knew it came from the recreational room and padded toward it.

I peered in and saw Echo and Keen sitting in the room. Poultice was sitting beside them, looking up with dark eyes. I knew something had happened. However when I walked in I realized that they were singing. That wasn't what I expected.

Keen was the first one who began singing and I was wowed by his voice.

"You, with your words like knives

And swords and weapons that you use against me

You have knocked me off my feet again

Got me feeling like I'm nothing

You, with your voice like nails on a chalkboard

Calling me out when I'm wounded

You picking on the weaker man

You can take me down with just one single blow

But you don't know, what you don't know...,"

Keen looked over to Echo who chimed in and they started a duet.

"Someday I'll be living in a big ol' city

And all you're ever gonna be is mean

Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me

And all you're ever gonna be is mean

Why you gotta be so mean?"

They looked over to Poultice. Keen's eyes softened and I when Poultice turned his head to take an extra mic I saw a long scratch over his right eye and a large black and blue mark on his forehead that would certainly bruise. He began to sing and I was even more blown away by his voice.

"You, with your switching sides

And your wildfire lies and your humiliation

You have pointed out my flaws again

As if I don't already see them

I walk with my head down

Trying to block you out 'cause I'll never impress you

I just wanna feel okay again

I bet you got pushed around

Somebody made you cold

But the cycle ends right now

'Cause you can't lead me down that road

And you don't know, what you don't know...,"

Echo and Keen leaned forward and began to sing with Poultice.

"Someday I'll be living in a big ol' city

And all you're ever gonna be is mean

Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me

And all you're ever gonna be is mean

Why you gotta be so mean?"

I smiled and strode in. It had been a while since I sang but I do have to admit I didn't have an awful voice but I probably scared the pups out of their fur.

"And I can see you years from now in a bar

Talking over a football game

With that same big loud opinion

But nobody's listening

Washed up and ranting about the same old bitter things

Drunk and grumbling on about how I can't sing

But all you are is mean

All you are is mean

And a liar, and pathetic, and alone in life

And mean, and mean, and mean, and mean."

The pups smiled at me and invited me over. I bounded over and grabbed a mic with one of my wings and the four of us sang together, Echo strumming her guitar.

"Someday I'll be living in a big ol' city

And all you're ever gonna be is mean

Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me

And all you're ever gonna be is mean

Why you gotta be so mean?"

We rose from our seat and began walking around, each of us taking turns echoing another.

"Someday I'll be living in a big ol' city (Why you gotta be so?..)

And all you're ever gonna be is mean (Why you gotta be so?..)

Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me (Why you gotta be so?..)

And all you're ever gonna be is mean

Why you gotta be so mean?"

I looked over to the pups and set down my mic. They did the same and looked at their paws.

"Sorry," apologized Keen with a dip of his head. "We were just trying to cheer Poultice up a bit."

I looked over to him and in the light his wounds looked even worse. "What in the name of Starbound happened," I asked in shock as I stretched out a wing to graze it but he pulled back.

"After Asphalt and I finished talking he went back to Hank since they were staying the night and Clutch jumped out on me and called me a loser and well this happened." He raised a paw and pointed to his scratch.

"He could have blinded you," snarled Echo in rage. "You don't seem to care."

"I do," assured Poultice as he swiveled around. "But like the song said, all he's ever going to be is mean."

"You have a great attitude Poultice," I breathed as I licked him between the ears. "Thanks for helping him Echo, Keen."

They both dipped their heads. "Anything for our friend," Keen assured as he pressed against Poultice. "I just wish they'd treat us better."

"They're jealous," barked Echo in pride as she puffed out her chest. "Right Starlight?"

I nodded. I had no idea why Clutch was doing this to Poultice but I vowed to find out. "Yes but it's late." I looked outside. "I think at least. We should all go back to sleep."

The pups nodded but I realized they were still looking at me. I smiled and motioned to the couch in the corner that pups played video games on and another couch where Poultice red a lot. "Alright we can sleep here."

The pups barked excitedly while Keen and Poultice took one couch and Echo and I took the other. I curled into a ball with Echo pressed against me. I went to bed thinking about the song we had just song. I kept thinking, Why you gotta be so mean?

(The song is Mean by Taylor Swift)