Promise Broken

The next week was extremely difficult. It was a lot of adjusting for everyone. For myself I had to stop myself from turning around at every sound. I thought every sound was a wolf charging at me or going after one of my pups. However it was usually just something falling or the wind through the windows.

I had seen a change in my mate as well. He seemed quieter and more cautious. He spent a lot of time stocking up on herbs and making different dressings. Sometimes I could coax him to come out and play with the pups but he was usually hesitant. When I asked him what was wrong he just said he was grieving for Murk and the Professor.

I also saw a change in Poultice. He seemed more like a leader. He also had adopted a new name, Sage. I still called him Poultice but a lot of people saw him as a leader and there were even murmurs that one day he could be the next Professor. However he was still young and being as wise as the Professor would take time but he certainly was the best candidate. He certainly made me proud.

My pups were a lot different now as well. They didn't take anything for granted and they applied themselves very well to their schoolwork. They all grieved for Murk in their own separate ways and we even had a small funeral for her in the back with just her closest friends and family. Despite losing a littermate Thyme was making major strides in her training with Thruster. She was learning almost every herb and also a lot of human healing devices and medications as well. Avery and Reed spent more time together as brothers and helped each other with their homework. Surprisingly enough all three of my pups spent more time together now than ever. If anything the battle had brought them closer together.

Keen and Echo were only growing closer. They spent every waking heartbeat together and I was wondering when they would announce they were more than friends. I knew it was too soon for them to be mates but the questions was always whispered about, especially between Feldspar, Smokestream, and Sunset. They seemed very interested in their friend's life.

On the eight day after battle more students arrived for the new school year. I watched as more pups bounded in, excitement lighting in their eyes. I smiled to each of them to let them know how safe of a place this was. I couldn't wait to teach all of these pups the wonder that their own powers could unlock. I also wanted to show the pups who were in my class last year the joys of advancing their powers.

To my surprise though Logan touched his hand gingerly to my shoulder once the last of the pups trickled in. I turned my head surprisingly and blinked my eyes. "Do you need something?"

Logan sighed and turned toward our room. "We need to talk."

I felt my heart leap into my throat. It was never a good sign when he said something like that. I just nodded and reluctantly followed him, forcing my paws to move. I pushed myself into the room and leaped onto the bed. Logan sat beside me and looked down at me with his blazing eyes. I struggled not to shrink under his gaze.

"What do you need," I asked and I couldn't help my ears from twitching a bit.

Logan's expression turned unreadable and I pushed my head into his hand. He moved his hand away and shock filled through me. He hadn't done that before. "What's wrong Logan," I asked gently.

"We have to go," Logan told me harshly.

"Go," I echoed as my tail swished. "Go where?"

"Anywhere but here," he answered and I felt my blood run cold. I couldn't leave! I had a mate and pups.

"But Logan-" I began but he cut me off with a wave of his hand.

"I'm leaving. Are you coming or not?" His tone was harsh. He had never spoken to me like that. I forced the fur on my spine to stay flat despite my rage.

"You promised," I spat as my rage uncoiled. "You promised that you would never make me choose between you and my family!"

Logan spun on my ever so harshly and he nearly threw me off the bed. "That was before the battle! I don't belong here anymore."

My eyes lit in shock and anger. "I do belong here. My pups and my mate are here. Do you want me to just abandon them?"

Logan stood up and his claws shot out. He suddenly raised them and I knew he expected me to cower in submission. However I leaped back up on the bed and braced my shoulders. I held my head as high as I possible could and met his eyes. "What are you going to do," I inquired with confusion in my eyes. "Kill me?"

He let out an empty growl before retracting his Adamantium claws. "You have a choice to make, Starlight. It's either them or me. Tell me by tomorrow night."

With that he pushed himself out of the room and I was left with an anger that was growing inside my heart. How could Logan do this to me? He promised that he'd never make me chose between him and my pups. It was in the companion creed that companions stuck together no matter what. It clearly stated that companions come before family, pups, mates, anything. However I never knew that Logan would make me chose.

I hung my head as I sat on the bed. I would have to speak to Thruster about all of this. I had no idea how he was going to react but I knew I at least had to speak to him about it. I leaped down from the bed and shame washed over me. This was not the kind of decision I ever wanted to make.