Thyme's Mutant Power

I felt my heart drop in my chest and I could barely breath. "What's wrong with my daughter," I nearly screech as fear begins to claw at my heart.

Bobby looked a bit taken back and I realized that he didn't know. He was probably just a messenger. "I don't know," he confessed and I knew he was telling the truth. "The Professor sent me to get you. He said it was urgent."

I felt my fur spike and I turned my head to my pups. "Could you do me a favor," I asked in a hiss. My eyes were pleading but I could tell he was hesitant.

"W-What," he stammered in fear and I realized I probably had scared him a bit with my snarling.

"I need you to watch my pups while I go see what's wrong with Thyme," I explained as I waved my tail a bit.

Bobby shook his head madly. "I can't! I have no idea how to watch pups," he argued frantically.

"It's easy," I assured as I heard my pups growling and wrestling behind me. "Just sit there with them and wrestle a bit. If that doesn't work make an ice cub. They'll love it!"

He nodded a bit reluctantly but I could tell that he knew that I was concerned for my pup's wellbeing. I had never heard the Professor ever say anything was urgent so this much have been something very bad.

"Thank you! This means a lot to me Bobby," I breathed as I brushed up against his leg before I darted forward, my tail lashing. I surged into the hallway and extended my claws so I'd have a better grip on the floor since it was usually very slick and without claws my pads would slide. I spread my claws and continued the long trek down the hallway.

I skidded to a halt at the Professor's room and tried to compose myself. I raised a paw and thumped it against the door. "Professor," I called and I knew that my voice sounded laced with concern.

"Starlight you can come in," answered the Professor in a strangely calm voice. He always had a calm way about him that I liked but right now it just made me frustrated.

I didn't need to be told twice. I pushed the door open and barreled in. It was brightly lit because of the sun and I saw the Professor sitting behind his desk. I shot forward and was about to barrel forward but I felt a hand on my back. I growled before I spiraled around and saw Logan standing behind me. I plastered my ears against my head.

"Easy Starlight," chided Logan. "She's okay."

"Where is she," I asked as I looked around madly, feeling the breath getting lost in my throat. I just wanted to make sure that she was alright.

"Over here," replied the Professor as he pointed toward the corner of the office. I strode forward and saw Thyme curled up into a ball. Poultice was sitting beside her, looking on with hollow eyes. He must not have noticed me approaching because he didn't even twitch an ear.

"What happened," I asked as I leaned forward and touched my nose to my daughter's ear, pushing Poultice out of the way a bit.

"Well we found out her mutant power," explained the Professor as he looked down on me and Thyme.

I looked over to Poultice who looked crestfallen. "What is it," I wondered and I expected Poultice to answer but to my surprise he just looked away and didn't speak. Once I realized he wouldn't answer I turned back to Logan and the Professor. "Well? You're going to have to tell me eventually."

Charles looked to Logan before Logan looked to Poultice and Poultice looked at Thyme. This was getting nowhere. "Tell me," I growled as I extended my strangely long claws.

"Well let's just say that you chose her name very well," chuckled Logan as he crossed his arms.

I pricked my ears upward. "What do you mean?" I was becoming less worried and more agitated.

The Professor wheeled in front of Logan and made me share eye contact. "Starlight your daughter can stop time."

"Stop time," I echoed in shock as I shook my head madly. "Stop time. Like for how long?"

The Professor frowned. "I'm not sure yet. It could be only for a few seconds or it could be for as long as she choses. She may even be able to travel back in time or forward in time as she wishes."

My eyes widened in shock as I looked to my daughter who looked so innocent, curled into her own little tight ball. Poultice was beside her yet he seemed more than concerned for her, he seemed almost angry with himself about her.

"So how did you er find out," I pressed as I sat down and began calming myself.

Logan looked to the Professor before he kneeled and pointed to Poultice. "Well they were playing and Clutch came in. He want to attack Poultice and Thyme froze Clutch."

"Poultice then had to get into Thyme's head and well shut her down a bit," finished the Professor as he looked to Poultice and Thyme. "She's been in a very deep sleep ever since. She'll wake up soon but we have to teach her how to control this. Something very bad could happen and we can't have that happening."

I nodded in agreement. "I know. I know but what do you want me to do?"

"Well for now you should take her back to her room," suggested the Professor. "Tomorrow when she wakes up bring her here and I'll try and speak with her. I'm not sure she'll remember."

I dipped my head before I strode over to Thyme. Poultice suddenly turned and growled. I drew back before my gaze softened. "It's alright Poultice. I'm taking her back to our room."

Poultice's eyes turned calmer and he drew back. "S-Sorry," he stammered as he shuffled his paws. "I er thought you were..."

"It's okay," I murmured as I leaned forward and picked up Thyme by the scruff. I turned to the Professor with bright eyes. "If you see Thruster can you tell him I'd like to see him."

Logan nodded and so did the Professor. "Thank you," I murmured before I looked over at Poultice who had his head hung. "She'll be fine Poultice, I promise."

He looked away and I continued forward, Thyme hanging from my jaws. I let out a tired sigh and looked down at the innocent bundle of fur that hung limply from my mouth. I just prayed that I could help her with her mutant power. If not I knew that trouble lied ahead.