Being a Mutant Isn't Easy

I had padded back into my room and lowered around my pups. They were all asleep to my surprise and didn't stir when I moved them closer together. Playing with Bobby must have really tuckered them out and I was thankful for that.

However I was tired as well so I rested my head on my paws and fell sound asleep. It wasn't long before I felt a wet nose prod my shoulder. I groaned before I blinked open my heavy eyes and saw my mate standing in front of me. His eyes were fraught with concern and I knew I had a lot of explaining to do.

"Thruster," I rasped as I rose myself to my tired paws and shook out my pelt. "I didn't expect to see you here this early." While I took care of my pups Thruster taught my class and his class. His class was a medical science. It was basic or students could opt for a more in depth one after for electives. He also taught science from time to times and now he was getting into PE so he could take over for Scott for a bit since he was emotionally unstable for now. He certainly had his paws full and I would too once I got back. I was going to start a drama club. That might not be up my ally but students did request it and for some strange reason I offered to be the teacher.

Thruster smiled a bit. "I didn't want to be away from you any longer," he murmured gently as he licked my ear. "Plus I finished grading those pups' papers first and the Professor told me that I better see you."

I dipped my head before I nuzzled my head against his thick chest fur. "Were the papers good," I wondered, trying to steer his mind away from what I may have needed for a bit.

He lowered his neck over my head and murmured gently in my ear. "They were fine. I mean Poultice's was a mile above the rest on the study of genes."

"His usually is," I rumbled before I drew back and looked toward my pups who were still sleeping and snoring softly.

"So what is it that you wanted to tell me," he asked as he looked at his pups with his chest fur puffing out in pride.

My tail tip twitched. "One of our pups found their mutant power," I breathed as I tried to look at all of the pups but my gaze drifted back to Thyme.

"Great Starbound," gasped Thruster and I growled at him to remind him to be quiet. "Which pup?"

I thought for a heartbeat if I should tell him or not. He was the father of these pups though so I had no right to hide the truth from him. "T-Thyme," I stammered as I looked at our daughter who looked so peaceful as she slept.

"Thyme," repeated Thruster in shock as his eyes rounded like moons. "What can she do or do I not want to know?"

"It's not bad," I assured quickly, a little too quickly. "Well let's just say that we chose a great name for her."

Thruster tilted his head. "She can grow herbs?"

I nudged him playfully. "No fish-brain! She can stop time and may be able to travel through it," I answered.

Thruster smiled a bit. "Er well that's pretty cool," Thruster breathed and I knew he really didn't know what to say. He shook his head to try and snap himself out of his trance before he looked back to his daughter. "Is she alright?"

I nodded vigorously. "She's fine. Poultice just had to enter her mind and guide her into a sort of sleep since she had froze Clutch and didn't know hot to unfreeze him in time. She's just in a very deep sleep," I reassured him as I rested my paw on his. "The good thing is that no one got hurt."

Thruster nodded in agreement before he looked at the rest of the pups. "Have any of them showed any sign of mutant powers?"

I thought for a heartbeat before I shook my head. "No, not yet. I guess that Thyme was the early bloomer."

"What do you think the other pups might be able to do," Thruster wondered aloud and I wasn't sure if he wanted me to answer or not.

I shrugged, deciding to answer. "I have no idea. I guess time will tell, right?"

Thruster twitched an ear before I rose to my paws and began to curl back around my pups to keep them warm. They began to press against my underbelly for warmth and I rumbled in amusement at seeing them sleeping. I looked back up to Thruster who still seemed to pondering what the pups' mutant powers might be.

"I suppose but I don't want any of them to have my power," Thruster sighed as he lowered beside me and touched his nose to mine.

"And why not," I asked him as I licked his cheek. "You have a great power Thruster. I know this isn't the best time to say this but Rogue came up with a name for you, Inferno."

"Charming," snorted Thruster before he lashed his tail. "But it took me forever to learn how to control it without almost burning down the forest in the first place. I don't want my pups to go through that, do you?"

I was horrified that he even asked that. "Of course not," I assured as I wrinkled my nose. "But we can't control it, we can just help it when it happens. Don't live in fear about what could happen."

"I'll try not to," vowed my mate as he yawned and showed his large canines. "We should probably get some rest. It's very late and I have class early tomorrow."

I smiled before I rested my head on my paws. Thruster rested his head on my shoulders before he curled his tail around his own paws. "Good night my love and may Starbound send you pleasant dreams."

I blinked my eyes open and a growl rolled in my throat. "Starbound never sends me dreams anymore."

"Does anyone," wondered Thruster as he began to drift off and I could tell he really didn't know what he was saying.

Fury made my eyes harden. "Starfire." The only ones that sends me dreams was the hell of wolves.