Helping the Unhelpable

I bounded forward on the ground, not daring to fly since the wind from Jean would make it nearly impossible. I was a bit slow on the ground but I was still faster than Tony. He was struggling to move after the injection that we gave him. He was shuffling after Erik who was moving at a leisurely pace.

"What have I done," gasped Erik as he struggled forward.

I saw Tony suddenly collapse and his eyes lit in pain. "Oh no you don't," I snapped as I lunged forward and pushed my head against Tony's flank and nudged him forcefully to his paws.

"What are you doing," asked Tony as he lumbered forward on shaky paws.

"Helping you," I grunted as I kept pushing him forward but it wasn't easy. "Now don't question it. Now just help me a bit."

Tony seemed to have a new fire to him. He took more rapid shaky steps forward. The fire and fury was growing behind me and I knew that both Erik and Tony had to pick up the pace or they would be killed,

"Come on," I urged both of them as I nudged Tony once then nudged Erik.

"I'm trying," panted Tony as he thrust himself forward but his front legs gave out and he landed harshly on his chest.

I lowered down a bit and picked him up by the scruff a bit sideways. I brought him back to his four paws and allowed him to lean on me. I carried most of his weight as we struggled to keep up with the group. I couldn't have them left behind. My mother would have stood by them during this time and so would I.

"Keep going," I encouraged as we drew further and further away from Jean and her destruction. "We're almost away."

That certainly wasn't true but I could certainly make it believable. I pushed forward and Tony began to pick up a bit more speed.

We managed to bound forward and when we finally reached an area that wouldn't cause us any trouble with Jean. I allowed Tony to slump down, panting just at the effort for standing. Erik crumpled as well as he stretched out a hand to stroke Tony a bit.

"Thank you," breathed Tony heavily. "You didn't have to do that."

I shrugged as I slumped down. "Your right, I didn't. However I think you both owe me something in return." I licked a paw and drew it over my ear and brushed away some dried blood from my once nicked ear before it healed.

"What do you want," asked Tony as he looked at me with blazing eyes.

I felt my mouth go dry. "I want to know about my mother."

Tony's eyes widened a bit and it wasn't just from exhaustion. He looked to Erik but Erik looked at the ground. He wasn't about to answer and I could tell that Tony didn't want answer either. However I wasn't about to take no for an answer.

"That's all I ask," I continued as my ears twitched. "I think I deserve to know something about her especially after saving both of your lives."

Tony sighed heavily and the breath rattled thickly in his chest. "Your mother was the most beautiful wolf I ever laid my eyes on. From the moment I saw her I knew I wanted her to be my mate." He looked to Erik. "Ivory and Charles, who were closer than hair on a mole's pelt, saved us. After that we just started off as friends and it blossomed from there."

"She was a very intelligent wolf," cut in Erik as he looked upward to me and I felt my fur prickle under my suit. "Very beautiful as well like your father said. Interesting mutation as well. Always wanted to do the right thing and stick by Charles."

I looked to Tony. "Stuck by Charles," I echoed in confusion. "During what?"

Tony licked his chomps. "During some very hard times. Things were never easy for any of us," he confessed as he tensed his shoulders and his muscles tensed a bit but he certainly wasn't ready to walk yet without help. "Charles, Erik, Ivory, I, and all of our friends had an awful life."

"Why did you give me up," I dared to ask but I wondered if I really wanted to know Tony gave me up.

Tony looked at me and our eyes met. "I gave you up to have a better life. I would never have been a good father, especially without your mother to help me. I never had a mother or a father."

I smiled and it made me feel a bit better but not entirely. I then sighed as I hauled myself to my paws and shook my fur as it stuck to my uniform.

"Thank you for telling me a bit about my mother," I barked with a dip of my head. A thought rushed through my head and I bit my lip. "Murk was killed."

Tony's eyes shown grief. "Poor little mite," he murmured with a dark expression. "I'm so sorry to hear that about your pup."

I smiled a bit to him before I forced myself forward and forced myself to touch my nose to one of Tony's nicked ears. Tony seemed a bit taken back but he didn't jolt away like I thought he would. He just let out what I thought to be a rumble but it could have been a cough for all I know. I then drew back and dipped my head to Erik. He gave a small nod which I suppose is the best gesture of a dip of the head that a human could muster.

"May Starbound light your path," I breathed to both of them. I knew that I had to get back to my pups.

I turned and readied my wings for flight but before I could take off I heard Tony stand up with help from Erik. "And may Starbound light your path as well!"

I just smiled to myself before I took off, ready to be reunited with my pups.