Meeting the Beast and the Asphalt

The next three weeks passed by uneventful and my pups were actually enjoying the school. They were learning a lot and the Professor had worked very hard on helping Murk with her reading and math. She may never be as book smart as Thyme but she was definitely learning how to accomplish things by herself.

I was trudging through the hallway with my tail kinked over my back and swaying. The heat was really bothering me so I was panting madly. My fur was clotted with sweat and I had just finished teaching my class about their powers and they were progressing very well.

I flicked my ears as I scented another Wolvy that I hadn't scented before. I knew every mutant who walked through this school and when someone knew came I made it a priority to get to know them. I licked my lips and wagged my tail a bit. I whimpered and followed the scent but instead of meeting a new wolf I ran into Poultice.

I yelped in shock and looked down. Poultice stumbled backwards and shook his head madly. "Er sorry Starlight," barked Poultice as he shook his head to clear it. "I didn't see you there."

"It's okay," I assured as I helped him to his paws. "Have you heard anything about a new wolf here?"

Poultice pricked his ears. "I don't think so," he barked as he sniffed the air. "However I have detected a new scent. Should I be concerned?"

I shook my head. "No I'm sure it's nothing." I sniffed the air again and more of the new wolf scent flooded through my nostrils. I turned my head and growled a bit, my fur bristling along my spine. I knew that this new wolf was in here and I wanted to know who they were. "I'll go check it out though, just to be safe."

Poultice dipped his head. "Good idea," he barked as he touched his nose to my shoulder before he surged forward. "I'll see you around!"

I yipped back to him before I followed the scent trail. Wolvy's had an excellent sense of smell as well as hearing and everything else. Anyway I continued forward and I caught scent near one of the Professor's many rooms. I bounded forward and smelled something, a strong smell of wolf. I skidded to a halt and looked to see a light gray with darker hues and black hues with brown eyes standing at the entrance to a small room.

I flicked my ears upward and bounded forward. I was about to say something when the wolf padded into the room with a large blue creature which I thought was a mutant following. My eyes widened a bit and I followed the wolf into the room. In one corner I saw Storm, Thruster, Professor and in the other I saw the gray wolf and the blue furry mutant.

I pricked my ears and Thruster turned to look at me. He beamed and wagged his tail. "Starlight," he barked as he threw a wing over his shoulder and motioned me forward. "Come here. There's someone I'd like you to meet."

I strode forward and sat beside Thruster. He strode toward the gray wolf while Storm and the Professor spoke to the furry blue thing. Thruster dipped his head to the gray wolf while I padded forward. He smiled at the gray wolf who just looked nervous. "Hello," he barked friendly as he beamed. "I'm Thruster and this is my mate Starlight." Thruster looked at me, wanting me to say something and not be rude.

I dipped my head and licked my lips. "It's a pleasure to meet you. What's your name and is that your companion?"

The wolf looked at his paws and shuffled them. I wondered if he was going to answer me and I realized that it didn't look like he was going to. I tilted my head in confusion and looked to Thruster, wishing him to help me out.

Thruster smiled kindly. "You don't have to be shy here. We're fellow Wolvys looking for acceptance and I believe that you'll find it here."

The gray wolf gulped and continued to look at his paws. "I-I-I-I-I'm As-As-Asphalt," he stuttered as he plastered his ears against his head.

I couldn't actually understood what he said but I didn't want to ask him to repeat himself. I looked to Thruster who also didn't know what the new wolf had said. He looked over his shoulder before he smiled to the new wolf. "Excuse us for a heartbeat." The wolf nodded and he bounded toward the Professor.

"Is something wrong," asked the Professor as he looked at his companion.

"I can't understand the wolf," Thruster confessed in embarrassment. His eyes clouded. "I don't want to ask him to repeat himself but-"

"It's alright," assured the Professor as he looked over to the gray wolf. "Asphalt has a stuttering issue."

"How long has he had that," I asked as I looked over my shoulder and felt embarrassment flooding from him in waves and I felt shame on me for not saying more to him to make him feel better.

The Professor shrugged. "He's had it for as long as I've known him. I think he was born with it. I know it's hard to understand him but you just need to be patient with him."

Thruster dipped his head. "I can do that. Who's his companion?"

The Professor lifted a hand and pointed to him. "Hank Mccoy," he replied as the blue creature lumbered forward and reached out a hand for me to shake. I did and he moved onto Thruster.

"I'm Thruster and this is my mate, Starlight," introduced Thruster as he wagged his tail.

"It's a pleasure," growled Hank as he smiled, showing his large canine teeth. "Have you met Asphalt?"

My fur stood on end and I turned to look at Asphalt. He had padded closer to Hank and looked up at him, nodding slightly. "Yes I have. You have a wonderful companion."

Hank smiled and I saw his canine teeth that looked almost as sharp as mine. I certainly wouldn't want to get him angry. "Yes he is. He's working side by side with me for mutant rights. He's a great researcher."

"That's another way of saying that speaking isn't one of his gifts since no one can understand him," whispered Thruster in my ear but to anyone else it looked like he was licking my cheek.

I waved him away with my tail and smiled. However Hank had move on to talking with the Professor. "We are having a small problem in my department," he confessed.

The Professor raised an eyebrow. "Is it Erik?"

Hank shook his head. "We're actually making very good progress there. No this is different. However Mystique was recently apprehended."

"Who's the furball?"

I flicked my ears upward as I heard Logan's voice. I turned and growled. "Logan!"

"Hank Mccoy. Secretary of mutant affairs," replied Hank cooly and I felt my fur bristle as I looked to Asphalt who had narrowed his eyes at Logan.

"Right, nice suit," smiled Logan as he strode forward and I rushed to his side so he didn't get to close.

"Henry this is Logan," introduced the Professor before things got too heated.

"He's the Wolverine," murmured Hank with a slight nod of his head. "I hear you're quite the animal."

"Look who's talking," Logan shot back.

"Well we all know that Magneto is going to rescue Mystique, right," Storm asked as she looked down to Thruster and I who we both nodded slowly.

"That isn't what I came here to discuss," cut in Hank and I turned my attention to him. He took in a breath and I wagged my tail slowly. "Scientists have been working on a formula that can suppress the mutant X gene. They're calling it a cure."

"Cure," I looked toward Asphalt in shock. He was wearing a calm expression on his face and for a heartbeat I wondered if he was a mutant and if he was what was his mutant power. "Is this true Asphalt?"

"Y-Yes," he stammered as he shook his head and I could tell he was struggling not to stutter. "T-They believe i-it w-will c-cure us."

Thruster lashed his tail. "Cure that's absurd! What's wrong with us. God made us this way."

"That's right Thruster," broke in Storm as she looked down on us and frowned. "You can't cure being a mutant."

"Actually you can-" broke in Hank but Storm shoved no desire to listen.

"No this isn't happening!"

"Storm," interrupted the Professor as he turned his head to look at her. "They're announcing it now."