How Well Did You Know My Mother?

The Professor and I walked down the hallways, not really speaking. I hated when it was awkwardly silent so I lashed my tail and sighed.

"So I never really asked this but how well did you know my mother," I wondered as I looked up at him, wondering if he actually would answer.

The Professor smiled. "Very well. I met her when I was a boy and when she was a pup. I rescued her after her mother was shot."

I pricked my ears. "I knew she was a mutant but what mutant power did she have?"

"Origin determination," replied the Professor but I just shook my head to symbolize that I had no idea what he meant by that. "It means that she can look at any object or living thing and tell it's origin, it's age, where it came from, what it's been though, things like that. She also had extreme remembrance. She could remember a conversation word for word 50 years into the future."

I puffed out my chest in pride at hearing about my mother. "What did she look like?"

"Oh your father wasn't exaggerating in saying that she was the most beautiful she-wolf he had ever met. She was ivory colored with striking yellow eyes. Her fangs were sharp and beautifully white. Her personality was always caring and she wasn't one to anger easily. Most of all though she loved you father," breathed the Professor.

I bared my teeth in a snarl. "How could she love a wolf-heart like him!"

I was glad the Professor was so patient with me. He stretched out a hand to stroke me and calm me down. "Tony was a very different wolf back then along with Erik, Ivory, and I. We were all very different if you can believe that."

I let out a deep sigh. "Is it true that my father gave me up because he couldn't take care of me," I inquired, afraid of the answer.

The Professor looked down and I knew he didn't want to be the one to tell me things like this. "Starlight your parents had you at a very difficult time. Your mother tried her best but some of Erik's followers found her and killed her. Tony knew that Erik didn't approve of his relationship with Ivory. Maybe it wasn't that he didn't approve but it was that he wished he had a relationship like that with someone and he was always very cold and callus so that could never happen." He shook his head. "Your father did everything he could to keep you safe but being safe was never with him."

"Why did he turn so bitter like Erik," I grumbled as I lashed my tail.

"He never forgave himself for your mother's death. He loved her more than anything and I can't explain that love but it was very strong," he murmured and I looked at my paws. I had my mother and my father living inside me yet I had never spend much time with either one. I had the personality of my father but the heart of my mother.

"I know and he still hasn't," I muttered as I licked my lips. "I know that he blames himself although it's not his fault. Companions before families, right?"

"That's not a great policy," the Professor argued and I nodded in agreement.

"I don't like it either but it's the price that we pay," I murmured as I lifted my head proudly. "We are companions and we give our lives to our companions, not to our families."

I knew that the Professor didn't agree with my methods but I couldn't argue what Dagger had told me. I wasn't about to go against Starbound's wishes. I just bit my tongue and pressed on.