Comunicating With My Boys

"Next is the boys' room," I barked as I looked to my mate who looked less than thrilled. He had a trickier relationship with the male pups than he did with his two daughters. I had no idea why but they just have never really gotten along.

"Great," he muttered as he pushed himself our pups' room.

Reed was sitting on his bed, reading a book. Avery was on the ground and seemed to be drawing a very well graphic figure of two wolves fighting. It was bloody and I even though I saw part of the wolf's eye in the other's mouth with puss squirting out of it. I shivered and nearly threw up in my mouth. I knew that that could actually happen but seeing my son draw that disgusted me.

"Hey can we talk to you for a minute," I asked hopefully as I motioned for them on Reed's bed. Reed set down his book and Avery abandoned his drawing. They leaped onto the bed and clambered toward me before Thruster leaped on the bed too but they shied away from them and I saw the hurt on his face. However this wasn't about his feelings.

"Sure," barked Reed as he looked up at me.

"Have you watched the news lately," I asked although I didn't know who did watch thew news.

Reed and Avery nodded in agreement. "Yeah we saw it," barked Avery. "They're talking all about that mutant cure."

I nodded. "Yeah. What do you think about it?"

Reed rolled his eyes. "It sounds fish-brained to me. I mean I would never get it no matter how bad my powers got. I think it's cowardly."

I let out a sight of relief before Thruster looked to Avery. "How about you Avery? How do you feel about it?"

Avery shrugged. "I don't care. I like my powers and I'd never have them taken away but I could see why another mutant might now want their powers. I can't judge."

"You don't have to," barked Reed as he nudged his brother. "It's just our opinions."

"Have you talked to Murk and Thyme about it yet," asked Avery as he lashed his tail.

I nodded slowly. "Yes we did and it could have gone better," I confessed as I looked to Thruster. "I think Murk wants the cure."

"No," snarled Reed as his fur bristled. "My own sister a coward!"

"Don't call her that," scolded Thruster as he growled at his son. "She's not a coward! She's just doesn't like being different."

"Well like it or not she is," grumbled Reed as h stuck his nose in the air. "Are any other mutants from this school going to get the cure?"

"I don't know," I confessed as I lashed my tail. "I guess we're just going to have to wait to find out."

"So if Murk get the cure will she be welcome here anymore," asked Avery as his eyes shone. "I mean I don't want her to get the cure but she's still my sister and I love her."

"I know you do," I chided as I licked his cheek. "I'm not sure. She's still a Wolvy and humans are just beginning to know about them so I don't know. I'm not sure if the Professor will take her back."

Thruster looked to me. "I'm sure he will," he barked reassuringly but I wasn't so sure. I mean I knew that the Professor was kind but this was something that our school was strongly against. I wasn't sure how I would react when Murk came through the doors and told me she was 'cured'.

"We'll just have to wait and see," I barked before I hauled myself to my paws and stretched out. "Well your father and I should be going. I'd like to talk to Poultice, Echo, Keen, and Feldspar about this."

"They're in the science lab," barked Reed as he strode over and grasped his book firmly between his jaws. "At least they were a few heartbeats ago."

"Thank you Reed," I yipped as I licked his cheek before I leaped down from his bed. "Try and get a good nights sleep if you can. It's another day of school tomorrow."

"Okay," barked Avery and Reed as they returned to their beds but I was sure sleep was far from their minds.

Once we were out into the hallway Thruster pulled me aside. "We're talking to the other pups now," he asked.

I nodded slowly. "Yes but first I want to go and talk to Asphalt."

"Asphalt," echoed Thruster with a shiver. "Why Asphalt. We can't even understand him."

"That's not true," I argued. "We may not be able to understand him but Hank and the Professor can so we just have to learn how they do it. I'm sure he feels bad enough. Plus I'd like him to meet Poultice."

Thruster let out a sigh and shrugged. "Alright. Let's go talk to Asphalt."