Preparing For Battle

We arrived back in the school and I was painfully aware how barren and lifeless everything seemed. I stalked into the main area and I let out a sharp bark, hoping that thruster would be able to detect it and know it was me.

"Storm," called Logan as he looked around. "Storm!"

"Thought you left Logan," shot back Storm as she came down from the stairs with Thruster beside her. He was romping down the stairs and perked up when he saw me. He bounded quicker down the stairs and leaped beside me.

"You're back," he gasped excitedly as he touched his nose to my ear and wagged his tail madly. "Honestly I thought it'd take you longer."

I looked up to Logan. "Logan says that Magneto is planning an attack, now," I told him with fear sparkling in my eyes.

Suddenly I saw Hank and Asphalt make their way over to us. I dipped my head to Asphalt and he copied the greeting.

"Are you ready," I asked him as I saw the look of fear still prominent in his eyes.

"A-As r-r-ready a-as I'm g-g-gonna b-be," he stammered as he bit his tongue and plastered his ears against his head.

"Don't be nervous," I chided gently as I beamed. "What is your mutant power, if you don't mind me asking."

Asphalt brightened a bit at this and looked to Thruster. He suddenly froze and he couldn't move. His eyes moved around but that was it. I saw him breathing so I knew that Asphalt hadn't turned him to stone.

"I-I-If I w-wanted to I-I-I c-could give h-him a m-migraine h-h-he wouldn't f-forget for a w-w-w-while," he forced outward before he blinked his eyes and Thruster was released.

"Incredible," Thruster barked in pleasure before we noticed that the companions were heading toward the lower levels.

We bounded after then and I felt my stomach churn. "It's happening now," I barked to Thruster and I saw the concern in his eyes.

"Yeah, I know," he confessed as he licked his lips a bit in fear. "Do you think the pups are ready?"

"You mean the ones that are still here," he pipped up before sighing. "Most of them left. They thought they would be better off in the real world but they aren't going to get very far without a companion."

"Who are all still here," I asked as my pace quickened.

Thruster shrugged. "Not sure about everyone. The younger pups I told to stay in their rooms and some of the older ones are looking after them. They are to stay until we come back and if anything happens to us to look after the younger ones."

"How about who wants to fight," I dared to inquire.

Thruster took in a gulp that nearly choked him. "Keen, Echo, Poultice, Reed, Avery, and Thyme," he replied before he looked over to Asphalt and I. "Plus Asphalt, you, me, Storm, Logan, Hank, Kitty, Colossus, and Bobby."

"Y-Yeah t-t-t-that m-makes...15," exclaimed Asphalt with lighting eyes. "M-Maybe we do s-s-s-stand a c-chance."

"Of course we do," I assured as we padded to the lower levels and I felt the familiar scent of the Professor. There was no way that he would ever be erased from here but that didn't mean that he was coming back.

I quickly grabbed my uniform and was surprised at how nicely it fit. I watched as Logan, Hank, Storm, Asphalt, and Thruster put on theirs. We all looked slick and powerful in them but we couldn't dwell on how we looked. It was time for us to make a difference.

I padded to the entrance of the jet and halted when I realized that my pups were all waiting. They were dressed in the attire of true X-Pack members. Pride surged through me and when they looked at me I no longer noticed the soft pup fur between their ears, I now only saw the power and determination in their eyes. I couldn't be prouder.

"Is it okay to be nervous," fretted Echo as she looked like she wanted to leap from her fur. "Because I'm nervous!"

"You'll do fine Echo," chided Thruster as he shot her a look and she let out a breath that made her whole body relax.

"But there aren't that many of us," pointed out Bobby as he looked to Logan.

"Yeah," butted in Feldspar as he scrunched up his face a bit. "There is no way we're going to win."

I shot Feldspar a stern look but to my surprise Logan was the one that answered. "Yeah, we're outnumbered. I'm not going to lie to you. We've lost friends, Scott, the Professor-"

Mirage, Deadspirit, Riversong, Marea, all the wolves that fought for the mutants life in Canada, and my mother, I thought but held my tongue.

"But we can't just let everything they stood for crumble," Logan continued and I felt his words empower everyone around him. "We stand together, as X-Men and X-Pack."

My pups' tails wagged and when I looked to Avery I saw him working his claws against the ground. He was certainly ready.

"Are you in," asked Logan as his gaze bore down on Bobby. He gave a nod and excitement surged through me.

"Let's go then," I called as I bunched my muscles and surged forward.

I heard a howl of joy as Thruster surged beside me, his paws barely touching the ground. The pups followed and I noticed how strong they looked. Perhaps all of the night fighting had done them well.

I climbed aboard the jet and slipped through the hallways. I arrived at the bridge and took my seat toward the back. The jet was equipped for this many and I was pleased. I helped all of the pups fasten up but when I got to Reed he reached out a paw to stop me from buckling him in. I looked up and saw he was on the verge of tears.

"I'm scared momma," he confessed with his voice crackling.

I spread one my wings and hugged him close. "I know," I confessed gently. "But I'm going to be there there and so are your littermates and friends. Also don't forget your father."

He brightened a bit and nodded. "I know. It's just scary."

"I know," I confessed before Logan passed me briskly and I knew it was time. "But you'll be alright. If you're ever in danger your father and I are just a howl away."

With that I leaped into the seat beside Logan and buckled myself in. He did the same and I looked over with a glint in my eyes.

"Are you ready," I wondered as I licked my lips in anxiety.

"I suppose," he grunted as the jet took off and his eyes widened. "I just hope I survive this flight!"