Night's Song

It was later before everyone decided it was time for sleep. I wasn't very tired but I could tell the pups were from eating all of the unhealthy food and then bouncing and leaping on each other. A few of the students took turns playing chess with the Professor but the Professor won easily and left the students hungry for another try.

Eventually it was Storm who ushered everyone out of the room. It may have been Friday night but that didn't mean that we were going to stay up all night. The students were reluctant but they eventually strode out of the Professor's classroom and dragged themselves toward their own rooms with their companions.

"Good night Starlight," called Echo as she flicked her tail over her back and rumbled in delight.

"Good night Echo and don't try looking for Erik," I called as I kinked my tail over my back and rumbled in amusement.

"But I hear that he can control metal," cried Echo as her tail lashed. "I really want to see how he can do it! All I've heard was stories from the Professor."

"And those are all you're going to hear and see for now," I chided as I leaned forward and nudged her haunch.

Echo sighed and hung her head. "Fine! However I will see him one day and then I want to talk to him," she barked as she bounded forward.

I had no idea why Echo wanted to meet Erik. He was just an evil mutant who wanted to end any life that he felt inferior to his own which meant any humans. However I couldn't make fun of Echo for this because I was intrigued by the events of WWII yet that was a terrible event.

"Alright well tell him hi when you see him," I called as she darted between legs and wove toward Rouge's room. The two had become fast friends and I smiled as I saw Rouge scratch Echo between the ears with her glove.

I turned my head and saw Poultice striding along with Bobby. Feldspar left with Colossus while Keen strode along with Kitty. That left just a few stragglers like Smokestream. He padded back toward his own room that he shared with a few pups who didn't have companions yet.

Thruster suddenly leaned forward and touched his nose to my ear. "Good night my love," he breathed into my ear affectionately.

I smiled and wagged my tail. "Good night. I'll see you tomorrow. Love you."

"Love you too," called Thruster as he kinked his tail over his back and darted forward with the Professor wheeling behind him.

I yawned and turned to Logan who was speaking quietly to Storm. I couldn't detect what they were saying. I didn't really need to either so I just slicked my fur against my body and waited patiently. Once they were finished Logan looked down to me and smiled a bit but I could tell it was forced.

"Ready," he asked as he threw his hands forward and I nodded. I hauled myself to my paws and lumbered forward, my stomach full with the food I probably shouldn't eat.

"Did you like it," I asked Logan as I pricked my ears up hopefully.

"Of course I did," murmured Logan as he stroked me between the ears. "I thought that was very thoughtful for Thruster to do."

I nodded in agreement, feeling more surges of affection surging through me for him. "It was. I wouldn't have ever thought of that," I snorted in amusement before I pricked my ears. "Hey I have an idea."

"Of what," asked Logan as his eyes dilated in confusion.

"Follow me," I whispered over my shoulder as I stalked forward the best I could with my tail skimming the ground gingerly. I scented the air before I turned a corner toward the back entrance toward the basketball court. That was the best place to see what I wanted to show him.

"What do you want to show me," pressed Logan as he strode into the open air and took in a deep breath.

"Well I know that you don't sleep usually so I didn't think you'd mind this," I rumbled before I strode to the middle of the court and sat down heavily. I turned my eyes to the moon and took in a breath. I then let out a deep howl.

Logan sat down beside me and looked at me as I howled a sweet song, at least I hoped it was. I suddenly felt the air erupt with another song. I turned my head and saw Thruster and the Professor behind us. I twitched and ear in confusion as Thruster bounded to my side.

"What are you doing here," I asked him as I flicked my ears upward in confusion.

"I could as you the same question but I won't," teased Thruster lightly as he licked my cheek. "I know why you're here. You feel the tie to the moon too."

My eyes lit in excitement. "I don't know what it is about the moon but wherever it is I feel like I need to follow it." I looked up to the moon and reached out a paw. "I just feel like I can touch it and I wish I could keep it for myself but I know that' just wishful thinking, right?"

The Professor wheeled up and I still couldn't decide if I should call him Charles or the Professor. He had seen so human when Triflud captured us but now he was back to being the wise teacher that I had met with Logan. Confusion tugged at me so instead of speaking I just dipped my head in respect.

"Wolves feel a tie to the moon just like humans may feel a pull to a certain place," the Professor explained.

"Do you feel a pull here," I asked as I tilted my head.

"I know I do," Logan grumbled. "However I don't know why-"

Thruster cut him off with a lash of his tail. "We all do because this is our home. I know wolves are usually in the wild, I would know. I was a healer for a pack for many years. However I feel almost more like a wolf here. The moon is just a reminder that no matter how far we are from a wolf pack the moon connects us."

"Very well said my love," I breathed as I licked him behind his ear. Thruster shuffled his paws before he looked up to the moon.

"Do you think that the pups feel a pull to the moon," Logan wondered aloud. "I mean they weren't born under it like most wolves."

I shrugged. "I'm sure they do. My pups probably won't be born under it but I hope they'll still feel something."

"They will," assured Thruster as he rested a paw gingerly on my underbelly and tried to feel them. "If they're anything like their mother."

I looked to the Professor before I shook my head madly. "I don't want them to be anything like me. If they turn out like me I'll probably pull my own fur out!"

Thruster chuckled before he butted his head gently against my shoulder. "They'll be perfect no matter who they act like. I know you're hoping that you have a pup that reminds you of your mother."

I bit my tongue. Thruster knew me better than anyone and that was one of my deepest desires was that I had a pup that reminded me of my mother who I had lost at such a young age. I knew I couldn't make it happen but I could beg Starbound. It was hard enough not having seen her since I was young but I constantly had my father telling me what a great she-wolf she was and how much he loved her. If he had really loved her would he have let her die?

"Doesn't everyone," I pointed out dismissively and to my relief Thruster backed off. He just looked up at the moon before he looked to Logan and the Professor.

"Would you two like a quick song," he offered as his haunches wiggled a bit in excitement.

They both nodded and I rumbled in happiness. I threw my head upward and let out a soft howl. Thruster's followed mine but it was deeper and rougher, almost like my voice. I deepened my howl and they sounded harmonious like it was two wolves being reunited after a lifetime. I felt our howls intertwine with each others.

However when I looked over my shoulder it was almost like I could see Tony telling me to enjoy it while it lasts.