Newt (part 2) (16)

Same gif because this is the chapter where it comes in

It had been almost a day since Minho brought Newt out of the maze. And no matter how hard you tried you just couldn't get the sight of Newt, unconscious and limp in Minho's arms, out of your head.

It was probably two in the morning now, and you were still awake. You had already set Newts leg as best as you could, but you just couldn't fall asleep. So instead, you were changing the bandages around his leg, surrounded only by the darkness and silence of the glade.

"Mm." Newt groaned, rubbing his eyes.

"Newt?" You asked, stopping what you were doing and going to sit next to him. Newts eyes drifted open slowly, groggily, and he looked around.

"No...." he said quietly, his eyes darting around the room as his breath quickened.

"Hey, Newt, it's okay." You said gently, putting a hand on his cheek.

"No, I shouldn't be back here." Newt groaned, covering his face with his hands.

"What do you mean?" You asked quietly, feeling the dread grip onto your heart like a cold hand.

Newt took a shaky breath, pulling his hands away and slowly sitting up, leaning against the wall behind him. He winced when he moved his leg, his eyes slightly watery.

"Newt, what do you mean?" You asked again. He swallowed and looked down at his hands as he picked at his fingernails.

"It means I wanted to die....Y/N." He said quietly, still avoiding your gaze.

"You did this to yourself?" You said, your voice barely a whisper.

"I tried to kill myself, Y/N. I....I can't stay here in this bloody maze any longer." Newt said, his voice cracking a bit as he shook his head slowly.

"Why?" You asked quietly, the question hanging in the air.

"I climbed up a wall, and I jumped off." Newt said slowly, his eyes welling with tears. "I wanted to die. I wasn't supposed to be back here. I wanted to-" you cut him off as you wrapped your arms around you. Newt shook as he finally let out tears, gripping onto your shirt for dear life.

"Don't talk like that, Newt, don't you ever talk like that again. We're going to get out of here, Okay?" You said quietly, holding tightly onto him as his tears soaked your shirt.

"I can't do it anymore, Y/N." He repeated, choking out the words in between sobs.

"Newt, you don't have to do it alone, okay? I love you, I don't want to lose you." You said quietly, closing your eyes and taking a deep breath.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Y/N..." newt kept crying, his face buried in your shoulder.

And he stayed that way for a while, clinging to youike his life depended on it.

And maybe it did.