Merry Newtmas! (126)

Yes I know time zones are a thing

Yes I know time zones are a thing. And not everyone celebrates Christmas. But I do, and it's Christmas for me here. So merry Newtmas, and to everyone that celebrates other holidays, Hapoy Holidays! If you don't celebrate, have a great day!

Also....yes. Another Newtmas set in the scorch at night because I actually love writing these.

"Tommy, what are you doing over here all by yourself?" Newt asked with a sigh, kicking up a small cloud of dust as he sat next to Thomas, the flames flickering over their shoulder.
"Minho lit a fire. You should come warm up."

"I'm okay." Thomas shook his head. "I'm keeping watch."

Newt frowned, rolling his eyes just slightly so Thomas couldn't see.
"Fry is keeping watch. Go on. Everyone wants to know the plan for the morning." Newt prompted him, nudging Thomas's shoulder.

"Why me? Why can't you or Minho do it for once." Thomas groaned, putting his head in his hands.
"I don't want to lead anymore."

"Tommy, you're a good leader. Everyone listens to you." Newt said gently, running his fingers through the short hair at the back of Thomas's neck.

"Why. You and Minho would probably do a better job." Thomas frowned.

"Stop with that klunk right now, you hear?" Newt shook his head, pulling back from Thomas 
"Everyone follows you because we trust you, and you seem to know what you're doing. You've gotten us this far, right?"

Thomas scratched the side of his head, shrugging his shoulders. He tightened his jacket against his chest to block out the cold, mumbling "I feel like I'm making the wrong choices."

"What do you mean?" Newt asked, confused.

"I don't want to get more people hurt. Look around us, Newt. How many of us are left? 7? How many of us were in the glade?" Thomas said, pointing back at the small group huddled around the fire.

Newt didn't say anything, just looked over at Thomas, who absentmindedly traced designs into the sand as he talked.

"The others listen to you. Maybe you would be better at leading them." Thomas mumbled quietly. Newt licked his lips, shaking his head.
"Tommy, it's different with me. You know it is." He said quietly.

Thomas sighed, trailing off as he nodded.
"It's always been different with you..."
He leaned on Newt's shoulder, closing his eyes and taking a breath. It took about five seconds before Thomas felt better. If he listened carefully, he could hear Newt's heartbeat, and the way his heart would always beat slightly faster whenever Thomas was near, even though they'd secretly been together for quite a while now.

Newt smiled slightly, taking Thomas's hand.
"You know I'll follow you no matter what, right?"

Thomas let out a huff that was a laugh mixed with a sigh.
"That's what I'm worried about," he turned to rest his chin on Newt's shoulder, looking up at him.
"I don't want you to get hurt."

Newt leaned down to kiss Thomas's nose.
"You remember when you went into the maze?"

"You're changing the subject."

"Hush, Tommy. Do you remember?" Newt said while playing with Thomas's hair again.

"Of course," Thomas nodded. "It was a pretty stupid thing to do."

"It was. I was a nervous wreck that day, just so you know....but it's what got us out of the maze." Newt chuckled.
"That's what we need. More of you. Even if it is stupid....and dangerous....and it makes me constantly worried that you're going to get yourself killed."

Thomas smiled.
"Awwwwe, you're worried about me." He teased. Newt rolled his eyes, playfully shoving Thomas, who flopped onto his back on the sand dune where they were sitting.
"I am, you bloody slinthead."

"Good." Thomas laughed, dusting himself off and sitting back up.
"I would hope my boyfriend is at least a little concerned about my safety."

"Now you sound like Minho." Newt shook his head, smiling as he shook sand out of Thomas's hair.

"Good. I need his confidence if I'm gonna continue to be the leader." He grinned cheekily.
"You really think I should keep doing that?"

Newt reached up, pulling Thomas towards him by the hem of his shirt until their faces were barely inches away.
"You better." He said quietly, then paused to give Thomas a gentle kiss. Thomas happily obliged, only for Newt to push him away a second later.

"Bloody hell, Tommy, you got sand in my mouth." He said before turning to spit and wipe his mouth. Thomas laughed.
"Sorry."

"Except you're not sorry," Newt shook his head, also laughing a bit.
"Come on, lets go get back to the others before they get suspicious."
He wiped the last bit of sand from his lips, and Thomas grinned, holding out his hand.

"After you."

"Tommy you cheesy bastard." Newt once again shook his head, but took one look at Thomas's grinning face and slowly took his hand. They stood up, dusting each other off before walking back over to the other gladers sitting around the campfire.

Thomas felt a lot better after that, talking with the others as Newt sat at his side, the warmth of the fire lapping at their feet.

Because as he said before, it was different with Newt.

And it always would be.

Maybe that was super cheesy. Do I care? Hell no.