What to expect while dating Sherlock

1. Silence -
Sherlock (as you know) works on cases quite frequently which need complete and utter silence in the flat for him to think. This usually isn't an issue, you can just read, listen to music with earbuds or go out running or something. Sometimes though, these long periods of noiselessness can cause extreme boredom but you must not interrupt him under any circumstances (you don't want to risk him getting angry).

2. The violin -
When Sherlock is not being silent, one of his favourite things to do is play his violin. He will remove it from its little red silk-lined home and serenade you for hours on end. The music he plays depends on his mood, it ranges from stringy/scratchy when he is frustrated to smooth and romantic when he is calm. Whatever he plays, you will always end up loving it anyway.

3. Unspoken love -
Sherlock is not usually one to vocalise his feelings, as you know. Every once and a while he may make an exception (birthdays/anniversaries etc...) but for the most part, he is as cold and unaware of how to express emotion as his brother Mycroft is. So, Sherlock shows his love in a way in which he doesn't have to make long heart felt speeches. He will maybe buy you some jewellery or ask you out to dinner or even write you a note... Anything to make sure you know he loves you completely and utterly.

4. Cooking responsibility -
As you are well aware, Sherlock rarely eats of his own accord. Cases can last anywhere from two days to even a week and nobody (even the great Sherlock Holmes) can go that long without food and not feel a little queasy/faint. So, you are in charge of preparing food and -most importantly- making him eat it. No matter how hard he tries to argue his way out of it, you always manage to get him to eat and as much as he hates to say it, he feels much better afterwards. Strangely, Sherlock is really protective over what you eat. He is perfectly happy to go for days without food but but throws an absolute freak out when you miss even one meal. It's just one of the many ways he shows he cares about you.

5. Frequent visits from John -
You have a sneaky suspicion that John has a little man crush on Sherlock. Expect a lot (and I mean a lot) of visits from him. John basically will try to do your job, looking after Sherlock. He will come over with some bread or a cake he baked and make a cup of tea for you all, making sure Sherlock has a slice of cake with his tea. You don't really get irritated by John, he's a nice guy (maybe a little clingy) but he has Mary to keep him in line.

6. Falling asleep on each other -
Sherlock is usually always behind on his sleep because of the frequency of his cases. He will be sat in Lestrade's office and begin to nod off when he should really be paying attention to Anderson. He can't help it, sometimes he just runs on empty. Because of this, when you two sit together snuggling on the sofa, Sherlock is prone to falling asleep on you. This will happen quite often so you just have to relax and soon you'll fall asleep too. Sherlock will wake up first and most likely carry you to the bedroom where you can get some proper rest.

7. Hand holding -
It may not seem like it but Sherlock loves small acts of physical intimacy like this. Just casually walking through London, he will brush the back of your hand with his fingers until you reciprocate by offering your own hand to his. The action of holding each other's hands feels like protection, like you are holding on to the only man in London who can take care of you as much as you take care of him. Expect a lot of hand holding... It's just adorable (plus Sherlock's hands are super duper soft).

8. Confidence boosters -
Sherlock knows how to comfort people... Surprisingly. He doesn't really seem like he is the compassionate type. Despite this, expect a lot of confidence-boosting comments throughout the day. Before you have a big meeting at work, he will compliment your outfit and make you feel powerful or in control. He will also make you feel like a good partner by telling you how much he feels he can trust you and relies on you to keep him healthy. These boosts (no matter how small) are meant to put a smile on your face and make Sherlock, as well as you, happy.

9. Some arguments -
Don't expect smooth sailing because it's not that easy. It is Sherlock Holmes after all... If you happen to disturb him accidentally by walking in on him in his mind palace or asking if he wants tea while he is thinking, his first emotion is anger. It's really not his fault so you shouldn't get upset but it's just a warning. He may well hurl abuse at you for a few minutes before realising what he has done and apologise extremely sincerely. He doesn't mean anything he says so arguments with him don't usually last too long. Just, don't take anything to heart, he doesn't mean it.

10. Care -
Above all, Sherlock cares. Cares about your wellbeing, cares about your mental stability, cares about how much time you spend together cares about your heart... Basically he cares a lot. Despite him not being able to show huge amounts of verbal love towards you, just keep in mind that he cares and he would go to the ends of the earth to keep you safe. He always says, if anything happened to him, Mycroft would take care of you because the thing he is most afraid of is leaving you alone. That terrifies him.