Writingmas - Day 14

Sherlock oneshot - gingerbread shed

The flat was gloomy. Eerily so. Sherlock was perched in the dark, staring blankly at the dying fire as you gazed at him longingly. Your marvelled at his nimble fingers, sleek wrists and dainty nails; such marvellous appendages could only be found elsewhere on Renaissance oils and marble statues. You sat back in your chair, sighing a little, taking in the greyness of the ceiling, flickering with gold every so often as the fire ebbed on and off like a stormy tide.
"Sherlock." You asked hazily, not taking your eyes off the oceanic ceiling. He did not reply. "Sherlock?..." You attempted again. Nothing. "Do you want to, you know, do something?..."
Sherlock sighed and straightened his back upright against the backrest of the chair, slicking an unruly curl back behind his ear.
"What do you suggest?..."
"Well... I bought some Christmas gingerbread house kits the other day... They were supposed to be for some kids I was meant to baby-sit but they bailed. We could make those?..."
"No" he answered, abruptly with an assured dignity.
"Oh, come on Sherlock! It'd be fun!"
"No"
"You're just scared that mine will be better than yours" you giggled.
"I assure you (y/n), that is not the case"
"Go on then, make it a competition. The loser has to do the dishes for the rest of the week."
Sherlock grimaced with childish ambivalence he contemplated the proposal.
"Okay... Deal."

- some time later -

You had laid the two boxes of sickening gingerbread, icing and various other stereotypical Christmas sweets on the table. On in front of you, the other in front of Sherlock.
"Okay" you began, "we have exactly one hour to construct our house... WITHOUT the instructions" you grinned evilly.
"Oh, you are so going down!" Sherlock joked as he raised his chocolate eyebrows with a competitive flare.
"3...2...1... GO!"
You both carefully prised open your boxes but within about 30 seconds, Sherlock has shattered his gingerbread roof and caused some serious damage to his candy-cane garden. You couldn't have guessed that a man with such dainty hands could be so clumsy in construction. Icing started to ooze out the back of Sherlock's piping bag as he squeezed it haphazardly over the fractured fragments of roof. The table was becoming more decorated than his own plate. In the last 10 seconds, Sherlock had seemingly cut his losses and merely emptied a packet of off-brand jelly tots onto his 'house' and stepped back, staring in awe at your creation.
You had barely taken you eyes off your own project since you started. The house was perfectly put together down to the last icing roof tile so when you looked up to observe Sherlock's effort, you instantly broke into hysterics.
"What is THAT?!" You screeched, holding your sides; they hurt too much from laughing.
"It's my house!..." Sherlock blushed, clearly embarrassed.
"It looks more like a gingerbread shed than a house!" You were laughing profusely as tears streamed down your hot face. Sherlock folded his arms and looked down at the floor, annoyed.
"Oh... Come here you big softy" you whined as you held your arms out towards him. He walked forward and slotted himself into your embrace. Your hug was warm and genuine, a satisfactory consolation prize. You smiled and kissed his plush pink lips, smiling as you felt his Cupid's bow brush against your own. His hands meandered down your frame and rested in the dip of your waist as you grazed lips. His hip bones jutted into you, just below your waist as you squeezed his torso. It provided you with an odd sense of comfort. While other women enjoyed brushing up against solid arms and washboard six-packs, you felt so much more comfortable against the sleekness of his porcelain form, weak and strong at the same time.
"Never make me do that again..." Sherlock chuckled lightly as your cuddle broke apart slightly to allow a dreamy eye contact.
"I promise" you smiled into his eyes warmly, as if it were them that were speaking; functioning as beings in their own right.
"Thank you"
"I love you Sherlock..."
"Love you too (y/n),.. You too..."