Writingmas - Day 5

Sherlock oneshot - Christmas rules

Christmas is meant to be a magical, uplifting experience when old friends reconnect; families unite and loved ones spend quality time together. For Sherlock, however, none of these things sound like his cup of tea... Every Christmas, be comprises a list of 10 rules, varying, marginally, from year to year. This is this years list...

1. The Christmas meal must contain turkey. None of this beef, chicken, pork or fish lark. As much as Sherlock hates it, if he is going to do Christmas properly, he is going to stick to social convention.

2. The table must be decorated. A little known fact about Sherlock is that he is a phenomenal table-setter. He manages, somehow, to get all the colours to interweave perfectly together and get the candles to reflect off the tinsel runners in exactly the right way. He loves the sparkly look it gives and the addition of crimson placemats make it look more murder-like. (His napkin folding skills come in useful here too)

3. You must buy Mycroft chocolate for Christmas. Always. The main reason for this is so that Sherlock can revel in the look of faux appreciation on his brothers face. He finds it absolutely hilarious. You, on the contrary, find it harsh but you are unable to object.

4. No getting drunk. This is an important one to Sherlock... After what happened with Anderson at the office Christmas party, he would rather that nobody be drunk around you or himself. Merely to avoid embarrassment... And broken noses...

5. Everyone must do as Mrs Hudson says! Yes, this is your Christmas party. Yes, this is your flat. Yes, she is a guest not a host but is she the most important person in the building? YES! She made all the mince pies after all...

6. Sherlock must be allowed to play his violin. His renditions of Christmas classics never fail to uplift a party. As the stars twinkle through the sheet of blackness outside and the fire roars with ferocity, 'Good King Wenceleslas' is an eerily good fit. You find joy in watching his dainty fingers move elegantly from string to string almost as if the violin and himself was one single entity.

7. ABSOLUTELY NO ANDERSON! (This one speaks for itself)

8. No talk of work. As much as Sherlock would love to discuss a gory murder over dinner, this rule is really only enforced to shut Mycroft up. His endless anecdotes about the Queen and foreign correspondents get old, very quickly... Topics favoured instead are devised by Sherlock could be directed towards 'favourite gift ever received' or 'what's your favourite board game?' et cetera... Just typical things used to crowbar the conversation topic away from beheadings.

9. Molly hooper need not get Sherlock a present. After the embarrassment caused by last time... Yeah, it's best just to leave it...

10. He must have at least an hour alone with you during Christmas Day. As the festivities bubble up and begin to buzz with people entering the flat, Sherlock can become a little... Irritated, let's say. The only way that he has found to calm himself down from the whir of stupidity surrounding him is to simply blank it out. An hour alone with you allows him to flush out his annoyance, maybe in the form of a rant or vent and soon, he is able to plaster on his smile and once again, join the party. You have no objections to this whatsoever. You love that you are the only person he can spend time with all 24 hours of the day.