Chapter 5: The Aura of Pain

Nicole's POV
November 15, 1969- 6:30 PM

The Jacksons moved out a few days ago. It's been really boring without worrying about a bucket of ice cold water being dumped on me, or Michael scaring me by popping out behind a corner. He seemed really withdrawn these past few weeks. I've seen their new house, it's amazing. And surprisingly, Joseph bought Michael a rat. Michael told me that Joe hated rats to no end...

Just wait til his mother find out.

Mom was downstairs sitting on the couch; she was watching some cheesy romance film. She clicked her heels to the ground. Even when she was at home, she was dressed up. I just assumed that's who Mom was. She noticed me, but a kissing scene must've played out 'cause she already turned her head back to the screen. Her concentration was interrupted by a light knock at the door. That knock sounded very irritated.

"Hey, Nic. Can you get that? This scene's so good." She smirked, her eyes glued to the screen.

"Okay, Mom. If it's an axe murderer, I'll let ya know." I joked.

"Yeah, yeah. Go. Now." She laughed at some random scene. I turned away, and rolled my eyes.

I walked into the foyer, and stopped with my hand on the doorknob.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Michael." Michael yelled form outside. He sounded very anxious. I threw open the door, and almost screamed by what I saw in front of me. Michael stood in front of me, his left eye bloodshot. He had bruises on his cheeks, and forehead. Blood was dripping from his nose, and mouth. A cut gushed with a line of blood pouring out his cheek. His good eye was tear stained, and full of sadness.

"Oh my, God." I mumbled. "Mom!" I yelled over to her. She smiled at us, and that immediately disappeared when she caught her eye on Michael.

"Michael..." Her mouth gaped in disbelief. "What happened?" She put her hand on his shoulder, and he just collapsed at her. Pain was evident in his eyes. I was too shocked to move, and my feelings were all over the place. Who beat Mike nearly to death?

She wiped a few of his tears away.

"Honey, let me get you cleaned up. Then, we'll call your mother. I'm getting her out here as soon as possible." She assured Michael, who nodded while wiping away his tears. I stared at him. I finally snapped out of my trance. He sat down on the couch staring at the floor.

"Michael, what happened?" I asked, curious and terrified. My best friend was in this state... how could anyone do this?

"Joseph happened." He choked out, still looking away from me.

"Your father did this to you? Why?" I asked. He shrugged, his eyes were stinging. He put his hand to his eye, and winced in pain. "Ooowww." He groaned.

Mom came back with the peroxide and cotton balls. "Okay, honey. This'll sting for a second, but it'll keep you from getting an infection." She took a cotton ball outta the bag, and placed it on the lid of the peroxide bottle. She tipped it and soaked the cotton ball with the peroxide. She put the cotton ball to the cut on Michael's forehead. He winced in pain, again.

A single tear fell down his face. I wiped it away without a second thought. I calmly took his hand into mine, and looked him in the eye. "If you need to relieve your stress Mike, just squeeze my hand." He nodded. Mom soaked another cotton ball with peroxide, and gently placed it on another cut. He squeezed my hand HARD. I felt like crying just seeing him like this.

After she finished cleaning him up; she took the cotton balls to the trash and dumped them in. I held his hand as I gently rubbed it. Whenever I was upset, Mom always did that. It was a real calmer-downer. "Hey, smile." I told him. He gave me the smallest smirk. "I don't feel like it. I feel sick." He groaned.