Chapter 38: Pleurisy

February 27, 1978
Nicole's POV

It must've been late afternoon when I heard my telephone ring. I recently got a nice, little apartment in Malibu. Mom pushed me to save enough to make it on my own. Michael wanted me to move with him, but I refused. I may be his girl, but that won't stop me from being independent.

It had a very simple layout. The traditional style was evident throughout the sloping ceilings, and the high rise where it meets in the middle. A large fan descended from the top, and some nice wood paneling whisked along the sides. Michael bought me some simple picture frames that space along the walls, from sunsets to potted plants.

One very special to me is of us, sharing a very passionate kiss. It's tagged, "A moment worth remembering forever. July 7, 1976." The interior was fairly simple. A checkered couch sat diagonal to the wall, the coffee table resting on a fluffy white carpet. My TV sat on a black TV stand.

It was actually nice and peaceful now that we've settled back into our lives in California. New York was alright, but that life didn't last long. Mom stayed there for about two more months before moving back to the hills. She secured a beautiful ranch house in Beverly Hills.

It's been a while since I've seen my little sisters, too. Gosh, they've grown more than I could've imagined. Rhonda's taking ballet, while Tracee and Chundey want to get into beauty pageants. Mom was pretty skeptical because pageants will either boost or collapse a girl's self esteem. I told her that if that's what they want to do, she should let them.

Anyways, the skyline was perfect from my view. My apartment was located on the fourth floor so I had a beautiful view of the houses and the hills. Michael came by almost every night he was available to check in on me. Some nights, it gets annoying and I send him on his way home. I love my man, believe me, but I don't need to be checked in with every damn day.

I might say one of my pet peeves if my house being so disorganized. For example, I was rooting for some potato chips this morning. They were in my utensil drawer. How in the fuck did I get in there? Michael! Of course he would. The man doesn't know a fork from a piece of plank wood.

Another issue I have are my neighbors. They are the loudest, most self absorbed asshole on this planet. Every night they blast some heavy metal bullshit, and make my ears bleed. So yeah, it's not all sunsets, I guess. I never thought I would feel that kind of animosity towards someone, yet here we are.

My phone rang suddenly. I walked over to the table my telephone was set on, and I picked up the receiver. "Hello?" I answered.

"Nicole." Katherine said in a panic. "You need to come to the hospital ASAP!"

"What happened?" I followed her tone.

"Michael's in the hospital. I'll explain when you get here." She hung up after that. My head began spinning as I gathered my purse, car keys, and winter coat. I raced out of that apartment faster than any race car competing in the Indy 500. I unlocked my car once I got out of the parking lot, and I dragged down the roads until I reached the hospital.

Once I reached the hospital doors, Katherine saw me. She reached out for an embrace as I gave her one. "What on Earth happened?"

"Michael was visiting Jermaine, and I assume he just had trouble breathing. The doctor told us it's a condition called pleurisy. The lining in his lungs became inflamed, and he couldn't breathe properly. They've started him on an antibiotic so he should be okay. It's actually really common." Katherine emphasized.

"I thought he was seriously hurt. I'm glad it wasn't too serious." I breathed in relief.
--

I knocked on Michael's hospital door as his head turned in my direction. "Hey love." He smiled. "By the look on your face, you know."

"You scared the shit out of me!" I whined. "I swear you're finding new ways to keep me on my toes, aren't you?"

"Well, I wasn't exactly planning this episode. The doctor said I don't have to spend the night, so I'm happy 'bout that." He smiled his pearly whites innocently. "I'm sorry if I scared you."

"Actually, it was immoral terror." I corrected him.

"Right. I'm sorry I immorally terrified you. That don't make sense."

"Everything you say doesn't make sense." I joked.

"Same for you, sweet bun."

Mmmhhh....
--

Yeah, it's shorter than usual. But, I was pretty - ahem- lazy. Yeah...