Chapter 43: Being With You Through Everything

January 31, 1992
Nicole's POV

I bit my lip forcefully as we pulled up to my paternal family's childhood home. Apparently, I had two other siblings that I've never known about. Growing up, I understood the possibility I had family other than the ones I've known and loved. The one who reached out to me was my older sister Denise. She's thirty-nine years old.

I would say she looks more of her mother's side because she looked nothing like our father did. She is pretty nice, but I'm not so sure I'd want a permanent relationship for us. She has nine children. Yeah, I won't be attempting to learn their names anytime soon. Let's say it's from eighteen to infancy.

Then there is Regina. She's around seventeen. And surprise! She's a huuuge fan of Michael's. Well, today she's gonna get the shock of her life. Tomorrow, we have to head to Los Olivos to get some financial orders straight. I'm shocked to the least that I have other siblings. It seems like my family is getting bigger and bigger.

Mom agreed to look after our kids while we met with my sisters. I drove down their street, and pulled into a gravel driveway. I inhaled deeply while taking Michael's hand into mine. The vitiligo he was diagnosed with years ago had taken effect, but it still doesn't drag me from the beautiful person I see inside.

"You ready?" His angelic voice wistfully asked. I nodded nervously. I had spoken with Denice over the phone, and she seemed nice. I just wanted to get this funeral over with so I could go back to my normal life.

"Let's just get this over with." I said, running my fingers through my hair. Michael grabbed my wrist, and stared into my eyes. We said nothing for about half a minute before he sent me a reassuring smile. I rolled my eyes. "Damn you for making me feel better."

"You're very welcome, my love." His smile centering his gorgeous face. No matter how old he has gotten, his smile has remained the same. After staring at him for a while, his face turned passive. "Why are you staring at me?"

"Because I'm falling more in love with you the longer I look at you." I explained. "And I love starting at your alluring smile." Michael shot me a shy little smile. It amuses me that he still gets shy around me after all these years.

"You're embarrassing me." Michael mumbled, a smile always present.

"You get embarrassed so easy! It's adorable." I giggled. Michael leaned forward into my face, and smeared the lipstick that was on my face. I scrunched up in frustration, and I removed his hand from my face. "What the hell? I tell you you're adorable, and you make me look like I got into a street fight?" I scoffed, grabbing a napkin from the center console.

"At least you didn't wear dark lipstick. We wouldn't want them thinking I was beating you." Michael joked.

"No, you'd be one with the bruises. Messin' up my damn lipstick. I'm meeting people I haven't ever seen, Michael. My sisters! Your jokes are necessary." I barked. Michael remained in a overhappy mood.

"It provoked you. I say that was a job well done." Michael crossed his arms in satisfaction.

"Michael, you're... ugh!" I groaned. "We need to get in there." I turned the car off, and took the keys out of the ignition." We climbed out of the car, and closed our doors simultaneously. Strangely, that happens a lot.

"You sure the kids are good with being home alone?" Michael asked. I shrugged.

"I trust Sierra. Remember she's looked after them while we were on tour." I reminded him.

"But my mother was overlooking everything. I mean she's in that defiant teenage phase. Corey's.. he's like me, Nicole! God, every window will be broken. The toaster will be fried. I can't make French toast!" Michael's random outburst made me burst into laughter.